System Recovered From a Serious Error

Anonymous
2013-02-08T02:49:55+00:00

I had the a similar problem about a month ago

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_xp-system/the-system-has-recovered-from-a-serious-error/da1629fc-32e0-4737-a5ff-63bf6003ddb2?page=1&tab=AllReplies

Thought it was fixed with all the great help I got here, but a day or so ago I rebooted and chkdsc came on without me scheduling it, then this morning I found my computer had crashed during the night ..

here's some Info-

Win XP Home 2002 SP III

Computer is getting old, Inter (R) Pentium 4CPU 240 GHz, 1.5 GB Ram

I Mainly use FFox

No idea about IDE drives or SATA drives

I have Avast free and Win Firewall

I have a CD and DVD but hardly ever use them

I don't know if I have a genuine bootable XP installation CD

Computer boots fairly well and fast

here's my System Summary-

OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation

System Name   

System Manufacturer    Dell Computer Corporation

System Model    Dimension 4600

System Type    X86-based PC

Processor    x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date    Dell Computer Corporation A07, 11/6/2003

SMBIOS Version    2.3

Windows Directory    C:\windows

System Directory    C:\windows\system32

Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale    United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

User Name   

Time Zone    Pacific Standard Time

Total Physical Memory    1,536.00 MB

Available Physical Memory    653.13 MB

Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory    1.96 GB

Page File Space    3.35 GB

Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

My Display Info-

Name    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_80DF1043&REV_A1\4&1246FE7B&0&0008

Adapter Type    GeForce FX 5200, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter Description    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Adapter RAM    128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Installed Drivers    nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version    6.14.11.7519

INF File    oem36.inf (nv4_NV3x section)

Color Planes    1

Color Table Entries    4294967296

Resolution    1024 x 768 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel    32

Memory Address    0xFD000000-0xFEAFFFFF

Memory Address    0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF

IRQ Channel    IRQ 16

I/O Port    0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port    0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address    0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.11.7519, 6.25 MB (6,557,408 bytes), 8/3/2004 10:29 PM)

I've been doing MalwareByte and SASpyware scans,

here's my Dump File https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5E9161E0412D6528!164&authkey=!AJ38-Yq\_Q0SoGyY

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T19:48:09+00:00

    Right on, at least something got found and fixed!

    Hopefully I won't be back .. but that's what I said last time :-)

    thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it more then I can express.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T19:43:35+00:00

    This thing started as a BOSD issue, so I asked for a crash dump file and got it, did my best on it and reported what I saw.

    It coulcl indeed be a fluke, but if there are more BSODs, we can take a look at them!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T19:36:50+00:00

    So no more BSODs now ..? :-)

    That's anybody's guess...

    ElderL asked you start this new thread. I was kind of hoping he'd have some answers for you.

    Also consider what Tech-Geek said. Assuming you only have infrequent BSODs, you really don't need to be overly concerned.

    The only other idea I have is to make sure you don't have an external USB hard drive connected at all times. Depending on the type, that could produce BSODs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T19:36:33+00:00

    Volume C is NOT dirty .. sounds good to me!

    Oh, that chkdsk /r was to fix that, and not my main problem with the bsod? That's the only time it came on on it's own.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T19:32:16+00:00

    Running chkdsk /r should have solved your "dirty bit" problem where Windows always wants to start off with its own instance of chkdsk. You can confirm by doing the following:

    Start | Run

    Type:

    cmd

    Press the Enter key.

    Then type:

    fsutil dirty query C:

    Press the Enter key.

    What is the resulting message?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments