System Recovered From a Serious Error

Anonymous
2013-02-08T02:49:55+00:00

I had the a similar problem about a month ago

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_xp-system/the-system-has-recovered-from-a-serious-error/da1629fc-32e0-4737-a5ff-63bf6003ddb2?page=1&tab=AllReplies

Thought it was fixed with all the great help I got here, but a day or so ago I rebooted and chkdsc came on without me scheduling it, then this morning I found my computer had crashed during the night ..

here's some Info-

Win XP Home 2002 SP III

Computer is getting old, Inter (R) Pentium 4CPU 240 GHz, 1.5 GB Ram

I Mainly use FFox

No idea about IDE drives or SATA drives

I have Avast free and Win Firewall

I have a CD and DVD but hardly ever use them

I don't know if I have a genuine bootable XP installation CD

Computer boots fairly well and fast

here's my System Summary-

OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation

System Name   

System Manufacturer    Dell Computer Corporation

System Model    Dimension 4600

System Type    X86-based PC

Processor    x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date    Dell Computer Corporation A07, 11/6/2003

SMBIOS Version    2.3

Windows Directory    C:\windows

System Directory    C:\windows\system32

Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale    United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

User Name   

Time Zone    Pacific Standard Time

Total Physical Memory    1,536.00 MB

Available Physical Memory    653.13 MB

Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory    1.96 GB

Page File Space    3.35 GB

Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

My Display Info-

Name    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_80DF1043&REV_A1\4&1246FE7B&0&0008

Adapter Type    GeForce FX 5200, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter Description    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Adapter RAM    128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Installed Drivers    nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version    6.14.11.7519

INF File    oem36.inf (nv4_NV3x section)

Color Planes    1

Color Table Entries    4294967296

Resolution    1024 x 768 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel    32

Memory Address    0xFD000000-0xFEAFFFFF

Memory Address    0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF

IRQ Channel    IRQ 16

I/O Port    0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port    0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address    0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.11.7519, 6.25 MB (6,557,408 bytes), 8/3/2004 10:29 PM)

I've been doing MalwareByte and SASpyware scans,

here's my Dump File https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5E9161E0412D6528!164&authkey=!AJ38-Yq\_Q0SoGyY

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-19T21:08:08+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-19T20:27:15+00:00

    See?.. Looking for the needle in the haystack was not necessary. Glad you have not had any more BSODs. If you do, don't panic. Most are resolved fairly easy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-19T20:16:15+00:00

    OK Folks marking this as answered, thanks to all, don't know which particular answer to mark as Answer, somehow we worked everything out .. for the time being!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-12T07:44:37+00:00

    I think that the Windows firewall is adequate for most folks, other firewalls may offer more adjustments and I think the consensus is that you should only run one firewall at a time, so pick the one you feel the best about for your environment and surfing habits and disable others lest they get into an argument.

    A third party firewall installation should be smart enough to disable the XP firewall, but looking in the Comodo forums, it looks like sometimes it doesn't and some of the regular members out there say things like:

    Known and annoying problem.

    It's a well known rule - you shouldn't have more than one firewall running.It is definitely recommended to turn Windows Firewall off as unexpected things may happen that could interfere with your security.

    Of course the Comodo people think their firewall is superior and it may well be, but you may have issues with some of these third party tools if you install them "out of the box" with all their protection things enabled thinking that more protection must be better protection...  then you may find that you have to start tweaking it to get your system to behave, get frustrated trying to get all your stuff working again and then just end up uninstalling it all later.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-02-12T02:55:20+00:00

    Thanks for that Elder.

    say, one more question. In my other thread, I forget who it was (Elder, Tech Geek?) said I should remove Comodo firewall due to conflict it might be causing, and instead just use Win firewall, and along with my router I'd be fine. So I'm using Win firewall now.

     I don't have a router, just a modem. Am I still safe using Win firewall by itself?

    I'm using Avast Free for my AV.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments