Could you explain how to do a check disk from the Windows environment?
Would that be Start>Run> chkdsk /r ?
also, do you know of any programs that monitor your hard drive? I seem to remember having one, Hard Drive heath or something.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I had the a similar problem about a month ago
Thought it was fixed with all the great help I got here, but a day or so ago I rebooted and chkdsc came on without me scheduling it, then this morning I found my computer had crashed during the night ..
here's some Info-
Win XP Home 2002 SP III
Computer is getting old, Inter (R) Pentium 4CPU 240 GHz, 1.5 GB Ram
I Mainly use FFox
No idea about IDE drives or SATA drives
I have Avast free and Win Firewall
I have a CD and DVD but hardly ever use them
I don't know if I have a genuine bootable XP installation CD
Computer boots fairly well and fast
here's my System Summary-
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 4600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A07, 11/6/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 653.13 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.35 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
My Display Info-
Name NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_80DF1043&REV_A1\4&1246FE7B&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce FX 5200, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
Installed Drivers nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version 6.14.11.7519
INF File oem36.inf (nv4_NV3x section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFEAFFFFF
Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.11.7519, 6.25 MB (6,557,408 bytes), 8/3/2004 10:29 PM)
I've been doing MalwareByte and SASpyware scans,
here's my Dump File https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5E9161E0412D6528!164&authkey=!AJ38-Yq\_Q0SoGyY
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Could you explain how to do a check disk from the Windows environment?
Would that be Start>Run> chkdsk /r ?
also, do you know of any programs that monitor your hard drive? I seem to remember having one, Hard Drive heath or something.
You are very welcome for the help. You done a great job. The only thing left to do now is sit back and wait to see if the BSODs continue. As noted by Elder, we can take a look at them if and when that occurs.
An autocheck is sometimes a good indication of imminent failure of the hard drive. For that reason, and also because it is just a good maintenance habit, I would recommend you run a full check disk /r once a month or even more frequently. You can schedule the check disk from the Windows environment. In other words, there is no need to run it from Recovery Console. Otherwise, happy and safe surfing. :-)
Right on, at least something got found and fixed!
Hopefully I won't be back .. but that's what I said last time :-)
thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it more then I can express.
This thing started as a BOSD issue, so I asked for a crash dump file and got it, did my best on it and reported what I saw.
It coulcl indeed be a fluke, but if there are more BSODs, we can take a look at them!
So no more BSODs now ..? :-)
That's anybody's guess...
ElderL asked you start this new thread. I was kind of hoping he'd have some answers for you.
Also consider what Tech-Geek said. Assuming you only have infrequent BSODs, you really don't need to be overly concerned.
The only other idea I have is to make sure you don't have an external USB hard drive connected at all times. Depending on the type, that could produce BSODs.