System Recovered From a Serious Error

Anonymous
2013-02-08T02:49:55+00:00

I had the a similar problem about a month ago

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_xp-system/the-system-has-recovered-from-a-serious-error/da1629fc-32e0-4737-a5ff-63bf6003ddb2?page=1&tab=AllReplies

Thought it was fixed with all the great help I got here, but a day or so ago I rebooted and chkdsc came on without me scheduling it, then this morning I found my computer had crashed during the night ..

here's some Info-

Win XP Home 2002 SP III

Computer is getting old, Inter (R) Pentium 4CPU 240 GHz, 1.5 GB Ram

I Mainly use FFox

No idea about IDE drives or SATA drives

I have Avast free and Win Firewall

I have a CD and DVD but hardly ever use them

I don't know if I have a genuine bootable XP installation CD

Computer boots fairly well and fast

here's my System Summary-

OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation

System Name   

System Manufacturer    Dell Computer Corporation

System Model    Dimension 4600

System Type    X86-based PC

Processor    x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date    Dell Computer Corporation A07, 11/6/2003

SMBIOS Version    2.3

Windows Directory    C:\windows

System Directory    C:\windows\system32

Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale    United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

User Name   

Time Zone    Pacific Standard Time

Total Physical Memory    1,536.00 MB

Available Physical Memory    653.13 MB

Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory    1.96 GB

Page File Space    3.35 GB

Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

My Display Info-

Name    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_80DF1043&REV_A1\4&1246FE7B&0&0008

Adapter Type    GeForce FX 5200, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter Description    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Adapter RAM    128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Installed Drivers    nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version    6.14.11.7519

INF File    oem36.inf (nv4_NV3x section)

Color Planes    1

Color Table Entries    4294967296

Resolution    1024 x 768 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel    32

Memory Address    0xFD000000-0xFEAFFFFF

Memory Address    0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF

IRQ Channel    IRQ 16

I/O Port    0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port    0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address    0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.11.7519, 6.25 MB (6,557,408 bytes), 8/3/2004 10:29 PM)

I've been doing MalwareByte and SASpyware scans,

here's my Dump File https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5E9161E0412D6528!164&authkey=!AJ38-Yq\_Q0SoGyY

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T15:56:48+00:00

    Hi Joe.

    While a BSOD is certainly a serious event, they do sometimes occur even on a machine that nothing is wrong with. Personally, unless it becomes a persistent issue I don't worry too much about it. This is especially true when dealing with memory management. As we did in the last case of BSODs on your computer, my advice is not to panic and to simply wait and see if it begins to happen often. Otherwise, as stated, they do sometimes happen and do not always mean something needs to be repaired. We all know Windows is by far not perfect. :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T20:24:27+00:00

    If you have a Dell-branded XP installation CD, you will boot off that and enter the Recovery Console (instructions to follow).

    Yes that is the command to run once in Recovery Console. And yes, there is a space before the slash.

    Do you remember me mentioning that sometimes one needs to use the Dell-branded driver instead of othre more up-to-date ones? That's what I was driving at.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T18:55:47+00:00

    Yep I have an older Dell Daavee, and yes chkdsc came on by itself.

    sorry, don't understand 'run Recovery Console and run the command chkdsk /r.'

    do you mean just run chkdsk /r ? With a space after chkdsc? That will get the Recovery Console?

    Yes I had the bsod rarely, performance if fine otherwise.

    still not getting notifications.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T18:29:43+00:00

    ElderL was the one who suggested you start a new thread. I am sure he will answer your questions if you have any.

    Are you getting these BSODs rarely? How is the performance overall?

    Assuming the BSODs are rare and your performance is top-notch, I agree with Tech-Geek that you don't have any major issues.

    Until ElderL returns, I can say that you since the "dirty bit" has been set (you had said: "a day or so ago I rebooted and chkdsc came on without me scheduling it"), you might as well run Recovery Console and run the command chkdsk /r. That will at least solve that issue.

    Concerning your most recent crash, if I'm not mistaken, you have a Dell. Can you confirm?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T18:27:47+00:00

    So you didn't see anything unusual in the logs, or something we could work on? I know my machine is getting old ..

    If we can't work on this I'll just bookmark this thread and report back if it happens again.

    say, how do I get email notifications? I have the box checked for it and also checked in my Preferences.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments