Windows Update Failure - Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series

Anonymous
2013-01-05T22:27:02+00:00

I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium. I’ve never had any problems with Windows update until recently. I have a problem with one update: "Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series". Any ideas why this Windows update installation fails?

Thanks,

Tom

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-06T00:08:33+00:00

Tom,

Pləase double-check that error number.

If the Component-Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted, you might receive a Error code: 0x80070490

<<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>>

UTC/GMT is 00:08 on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-10T09:51:50+00:00

    Your link works. Your system log contains two repeating entries which I have seen before.

    Log Name:      System

    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient

    Date:          06/01/13 00:52:37

    Event ID:      20

    Task Category: Windows Update Agent

    Level:         Error

    Description:

    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070490: Hewlett-Packard 

    • Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series.

    Log Name:      System

    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient

    Date:          06/01/13 00:54:34

    Event ID:      18

    Level:         Information

    Description:

    Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on ‎Sunday, ‎January ‎06, ‎2013 at 3:00 AM:

    • Hewlett-Packard  - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series
    • Hewlett-Packard  - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Fax - HP Photosmart 7520 series

    It's a circular problem and started for you some time ago. When the system attempts to install at 3.00 am it will fail and when the system next checks for available updates it downloads again.

    Jose gave you a link to KB 958044 which contains detailed advice on how to fix the error. Which methods did you try? It would help to to know exactly what you did. Method 2 is a Repair Install which can be challenging?

    You can probably break the circular routine by turning of automatic updating at least until you have fixed the underlying error.

    A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK.

    If you encounter problems updating or you are not using the Automatic Update you should manually update by selecting Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. Check the boxes before the updates you want to install, click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-10T17:58:05+00:00

    Gerry,

    Windows update is set to: "Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". I am in the process of downloading the "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [November 2012]". I will let you know if this resolves the error. Hopefully I will not have to implement Method 2.

    Tom

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-11T18:47:00+00:00

    Problem still exists. My laptop can support an upgrade to Windows 8.

    Should I upgrade to W 8 instead of reloading W 7?

    Tom

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-12T18:17:59+00:00

    Disable that update. Been here. Done this. Did all of the suggestions right down to a fresh install/upgrade this morning. Everything worked fine and all updates (which all had to be done over again, naturally) until Windows Update saw this BOGUS update. Then it all went to heck again. Same error. Same result.

    The ONLY solution I have found is to HIDE this update. Since there are no others to find right now, I assume it is fixed. I won't know for sure until Windows Update actually finds some new mandatory updates, but I was told on the HP forums that this fixes it.

    Stop handing out bogus advice, MS, and start talking to the left hand. That has always been your problem.

    I wasted half a day trying **** advice. You guys really ought to start talking to one another once in a while.

    The better question would be why does HP flag this as a necessary update in Windows Update when the one that's currently installed in newer anyway (That's the real problem, BTW.). that's why the install keeps failing, at least according to the folks over on the HP Forum (actual HP techs). That question is still outstanding on both forums. I don't expect to ever see an answer. :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments