Windows Update Failure - Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series

Anonymous
2013-01-05T22:27:02+00:00

I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium. I’ve never had any problems with Windows update until recently. I have a problem with one update: "Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series". Any ideas why this Windows update installation fails?

Thanks,

Tom

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-06T00:08:33+00:00

Tom,

Pləase double-check that error number.

If the Component-Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted, you might receive a Error code: 0x80070490

<<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>>

UTC/GMT is 00:08 on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-11T18:52:36+00:00

    Thanks MC.  Went through some very complex instructions before I saw your solution.  Worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-05T14:34:17+00:00

    bob22redZY ,

    This is very helpful.

    I had already physically went into Device Manager and removed a bogus printer.  I can't remember now exactly how I did that.

    But running the system scan you posted was an added bonus, reassuring me that everything is ok now.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-05T06:18:13+00:00

    I also had this problem when upgrading to Windows 10. I found a solution on answers.microsoft.com which also removed the Unknown Devices in my printer list. This was to run a System Scan:

    To run a system file check (SFC)

    Go to start

    Type CMD

    Right click and run as Administrator(called an **elevated command prompt**)If you want to verify and repair the OS type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and "/")

    It takes a while so be patient. At the end it should say something like:

    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them.

    Check the Printer list in Device Manager and the unknown devices should have disappeared.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-05T03:39:53+00:00

    I was having the exact same problems with those two updates constantly failing (yes I have upgraded to Windows 10).  I found a solution that worked for me so I thought I would share it.  Open up your Control Panel and select Device Manager.  Double click on Printers and if you see two Unknown Devices in this list Uninstall them and the two failed updates will stop (at least this worked for me).

    M Crocker,

    Your solution worked for me, as well. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments