Tom,
Pləase double-check that error number.
If the Component-Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted, you might receive a Error code: 0x80070490
<<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>>
UTC/GMT is 00:08 on Sunday, January 06, 2013
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium. I’ve never had any problems with Windows update until recently. I have a problem with one update: "Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series". Any ideas why this Windows update installation fails?
Thanks,
Tom
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Tom,
Pləase double-check that error number.
If the Component-Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted, you might receive a Error code: 0x80070490
<<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>>
UTC/GMT is 00:08 on Sunday, January 06, 2013
Tom
Please recheck the error code.
Please upload and share copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.
To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log.
======================================================================
Hello, Gerry,
This isn't Tom; I'm b-Natalie and I found your posts while searching for help with my Null Print error (which has been happening for at least a year (on every update).
Here's a copy/paste of my most recent update error, called "Event ID 20; Source=WindowsUpdateClient; Task Category=Windows Update Agent".
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070103: Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series.
the XML view is this:
**-** <Eventxmlns="**http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event**">
**-** <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient"Guid="{945A8954-C147-4ACD-923F-40C45405A658}" />
<EventID>20</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>1</Task>
<Opcode>13</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000028</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-08-27T10:01:07.270899500Z" />
<EventRecordID>112726</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="620"ThreadID="7588" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Bonnie-HP</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
**-** <EventData>
<Data Name="errorCode">0x80070103</Data>
<Data Name="updateTitle">Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series</Data>
<Data Name="updateGuid">{DD63C015-E52B-4739-858A-7CC7DD8F65F9}</Data>
<Data Name="updateRevisionNumber">101</Data>
</EventData>
****</Event>
I don't know if this info helps you help me, and if you don't reply I'll understand that I'm asking for too much help, but I can't understand why I've gotten this failure for over a year and it won't clear itself up.
Oh, the error code is 0x80070103 and is the same each time I get this failure.
Thank you, in advance, for any help you can give me!
Very sincerely, b-natalie
Thanks MC. Went through some very complex instructions before I saw your solution. Worked for me.
This is very helpful.
I had already physically went into Device Manager and removed a bogus printer. I can't remember now exactly how I did that.
But running the system scan you posted was an added bonus, reassuring me that everything is ok now.
Thanks!
I also had this problem when upgrading to Windows 10. I found a solution on answers.microsoft.com which also removed the Unknown Devices in my printer list. This was to run a System Scan:
To run a system file check (SFC)
Go to start
Type CMD
Right click and run as Administrator(called an **elevated command prompt**)If you want to verify and repair the OS type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and "/")
It takes a while so be patient. At the end it should say something like:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them.
Check the Printer list in Device Manager and the unknown devices should have disappeared.