There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-13T12:39:14+00:00

    Does Everyone With This Problem Run  WEBROOT?

    My Webroot update threw a program file in my Programs named ''Program''   That's is. Nothing more. I renamed it to see what would happen and I reboot and no file warning. But I named it back so my webroot will work correctly. And of course I get the file warning again. I just X out of it everytime I turn on the computer

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-16T15:20:26+00:00

    I am facing same issue after installing Oracle 12c Enterprise manager.

    can anyone suggest complete solution.

    My file in my Programs is from an update run that belongs to Webroot. It's an antivirus thing.  And it threw a file in my  ''Programs''  And it's named  ''Program''

    So my Complete Solution is wait for Webroot to contact me and they can tell me what to do with it.  Like I said, I can rename it and the file warning goes away. But I don't think when I'm running Webroot, that the antivirus will find that file to use it in finding my viruses. So I just leave it the way it is named just Program and put up with Xing out of the file warning everytime I reboot

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-28T13:19:36+00:00

    You can duplicate this on any windows computer.  I tried it on a Windows XP, Windows 7, all the way to Windows server 2102.  Just create a file called "program" on the C: drive, log off, and log back on.  You will see the error.  Delete or rename the file and do it again and the problem is gone.

    That is exactly what the problem was for me. Must have been created by some installer or updater because I didn't create the file. It was not a folder, but a file.  There was also a "Program.old" file with the same time stamp. 0 byte files. Deleted them both.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T01:58:06+00:00

    I have Webroot for an antivirus and when I clicked on an update, one of the files to run the program was put in my Program Files on my computer. So I had a file named Program, And it was in my Program Files and that is where I got the double name warning. I wrote Webroot to find out what I can do and they didn't respond.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments