There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-06T11:31:49+00:00

    Guy 100% correct. The culprit is Foxit Reader. I also faced the same issue after upgrading to Foxit recently. 

    I renamed the folder and now it seems to be working perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-10T23:24:39+00:00

    We are getting this with Windows 8.  We do NOT have Foxit Reader on the system.  Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-29T16:36:43+00:00

    I have the same problem now under Windows 7.  Neither deleting or renaming the folder works.  When trying to delete the folder, the system says: "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder".  When I click "continue," (as an admin) I get a window titled "Folder access denied."  Then I can click "Try again," but it brings me back to the same message.

    Any ideas how to solve this?

    I had the same pop-up occur on a couple HP servers with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 installed... Apparently, HP Openview monitoring agent creates an installation log file called "Program" on the root of drive C.  In this case, the installation log file "C:\Program" is the file that caused the pop-up and by clicking "Rename", on the pop-up window, this action will promptly rename the file "C:\Program" to "C:\Program1", as the message suggests, and, in my case, resolve the issue.

    I got the same admin permission warning... this is from the UAC (user access control) settings. Turn it off if you want the warning to go away and/or make sure the permissions on the file at correct... you may need to take ownership of the file in order to modify the name or remove the file altogether.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more