There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-11T20:27:49+00:00

    You can duplicate this on any windows computer.  I tried it on a Windows XP, Windows 7, all the way to Windows server 2102.  Just create a file called "program" on the C: drive, log off, and log back on.  You will see the error.  Delete or rename the file and do it again and the problem is gone.

    So if it returns, you obviously have some automatic job that creates the file by mistake.  Like if you wanted to type this:    dir   >>"c:\program files\test.txt"   

    but instead typed this  dir   >>c:\program files\test.txt"

    You will get an error message but you will now have a file called Program on your C:.   Log out and in and you get the warning.   Anyway, I think this is because Windows knows there is a folder called "Program Files" and it could cause problems later.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-08T01:03:36+00:00

    Soooooo....WhatShouldOneDoIfThisComesUpAgain?

    Ran out of ideas,

    What did you do, no one else provide a solution?  My issue just popped up today!

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-08T03:41:51+00:00

    I have the same problem now under Windows 7.  Neither deleting or renaming the folder works.  When trying to delete the folder, the system says: "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder".  When I click "continue," (as an admin) I get a window titled "Folder access denied."  Then I can click "Try again," but it brings me back to the same message.

    Any ideas how to solve this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-13T02:30:26+00:00

    I don't have a solution to this "problem," but I do have a clue to what might be doing this,  at least on my Windows 8.1 computer.

    This morning, when I started to use Foxit Reader, it wanted to do an update.  I had to close it for the update to complete.  That is the only program I updated today.

    The renamed "C:\Program1" folder is time-stamped around the time Foxit was updating itself.  It has 3 files, all of them starting with "uninst".

    If this turns out to be just a folder for the files to uninstall Foxit, then I don't see having that folder stay on my computer as a problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments