There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-10T23:24:39+00:00

    We are getting this with Windows 8.  We do NOT have Foxit Reader on the system.  Any ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-06T11:31:49+00:00

    Guy 100% correct. The culprit is Foxit Reader. I also faced the same issue after upgrading to Foxit recently. 

    I renamed the folder and now it seems to be working perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-23T05:21:12+00:00

    It is definitely Foxit Reader. I kept deleting the folder but it keeps popping back up everytime I reboot.

    There are 3 files in the "PROGRAM" folder, one of which is an application file. I ran the application file and the entire folder deleted itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-22T05:43:03+00:00

    Windows 7 also suggested to rename the folder, I accepted it and it renamed it to Program1.

    I examined the strings inside the files there and found that it is Foxit Reader which I updated yesterday too. So I just run an exe file that start with uninstall, and all contained files (there are 3 files). After that I remove the Program1 and restart the system, I checked Foxit Reader, it works ok.

    Addition information: 

    http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Adware:Win32/OpenCandy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments