There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-02T12:36:58+00:00

    I'm not smart with computers, so I won't even try to guess. I just got my popup  when I turned on my computer this morning. 

    This is what I want to know. (in computer for dummies language please)

    If I click on ''Rename File'' and it is now renamed,   then HOW will the computer be running the programs from this folder like it ,,, (I'm assuming) that it did for the last year???  Will Not the computer be looking for  ''C:''Program''  folder? And NOT  ''C:\Program1''  folder?  It would not be looking for  ''C:\Program1''  folder when it needs anything out of there because the computer system hasn't been told to get these files from a folder  out of a different name. 

    Ok, I said it as understandably as I can, so do I make sense?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-14T01:40:03+00:00

    Hello,

    I started having this same problem recently and think that it *may* be associated with a recent update I installed from EA Origin.  A file named "Program" did in fact get created at the root of my C:\ drive which caused the Windows error to appear on startup and also prevented Origin from launching (on Windows 8.1).  I renamed that file to "Program-renamed" and both problems went away.  Hope this info is helpful.

    NOTE:  The issue for me was with a FILE named "C:\Program" ... not an issue with a FOLDER of that name.  Check the FILES in your root directory to see if one named "Program" exists there and rename it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-29T16:36:43+00:00

    I have the same problem now under Windows 7.  Neither deleting or renaming the folder works.  When trying to delete the folder, the system says: "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder".  When I click "continue," (as an admin) I get a window titled "Folder access denied."  Then I can click "Try again," but it brings me back to the same message.

    Any ideas how to solve this?

    I had the same pop-up occur on a couple HP servers with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 installed... Apparently, HP Openview monitoring agent creates an installation log file called "Program" on the root of drive C.  In this case, the installation log file "C:\Program" is the file that caused the pop-up and by clicking "Rename", on the pop-up window, this action will promptly rename the file "C:\Program" to "C:\Program1", as the message suggests, and, in my case, resolve the issue.

    I got the same admin permission warning... this is from the UAC (user access control) settings. Turn it off if you want the warning to go away and/or make sure the permissions on the file at correct... you may need to take ownership of the file in order to modify the name or remove the file altogether.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments