There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-02T17:44:39+00:00

    Just, delete the file program, in C:

    for some reason , put a file called program in c: , just DELETE this filesso D
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-12T16:20:38+00:00

    The popup I get is still there everytime I reboot. My Webroot antivirus put a file in there just called  ''Program'' when I got an update installed. And of course it's in the Program Files so the computer is telling me that there are 2 things that are the same name.  So for my Webroot antivirus to work properly I don't change the name of the file because the antivirus probably would not find that file IF I RENAMED it. I just put up with Xing out of the  popup when I reboot or turn on my computer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-09T21:57:48+00:00

    The question that you may have is “How can a user inadvertently and unknowingly add a file called “Program” (or some variant) to a system drive that ends up preventing a service from starting?”

    One answer is through the incorrect use of the Change Directory (CD) command in a Command Prompt window-- that is a possible cause. For example, typing in a Command Prompt change directory command in this manner “C:>cd C:>Program Files (x86)\  will add a file called “Program” to the system drive. The typo in the command has an invalid “>” symbol before “Program Files”, it will create a “Program” file on the system drive. The Command Prompt window response to the invalid command is “The system cannot find the path specified” (In other words, the Command Prompt window does not let you know that you just created a file called “Program”).

    Not saying that was the exact cause for this occurrence, but the above scenario WILL cause the “Program” file to appear on the C: drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-31T23:17:34+00:00

    I found that my AV was the process attemting to run and it failed... as soon as I clicked on Rename it to Program1, it created a file with NO extention on the C:\

    as soon as I renamed it to Program1.exe ... it changed it launched and worked fine.

    Interesting :-/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments