There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-26T05:22:40+00:00

    Yes, I use Webroot. I have no idea tho, where the file came from. I am annoyed by the thing and I really want it gone.

    Instead of why or how its there, do anyone have a straightforward solution to the problem, that is1) in common English, 2) very concise in the instructions?

    I'm not new to computers, but I'm not an expert and really don't want to mess up my computer by doing something and not knowing how to undo it.

    For the record.

    * I can't delete it

    * I can't rename it

    * I can't save the file it wants to call C:\Program1

    * To do all the above, it says I need Administrator Privledges. Last time I checked, I was the Admin, so I'm not sure why I cant do any of it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-06T13:30:09+00:00

    No one answered my question about if everyone having this problem has  WEBROOT ...!

    that's where that file came from I was having the problem.  

    I finally got tired of Xing out of the box everytime I turned the computer on or rebooted and clicked on the button that says something like  'Disable Warnings'.  Don't know just what it said. Now I don't get anymore popups.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-02T16:13:44+00:00

    It would be nice for people like me to have a response/solution in much less technical jargon. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-06-25T17:29:55+00:00

    Actually, it is a simple problem with an epic consequence. There are software programs that create a batch file to execute certain commands at startup to initiate and/or initialize certain components of their functions. They call that batch file "Program" and they store it on the "C:" directory for direct access. In my case, it was a network monitoring software program that did that. The problem is that the name of the batch file is in the DOS format, hence no spaces, and that trips Windows duplicate name flag because of the space in "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" folders names. And when any executable program in those folders is called to run, they won't because Windows would mistakenly search in the "C:\Program" batch file for them and then nothing happens. That's why Windows prompts for renaming the file to "Program 1" or so. And then, the batch file name needs to be reconfigured into the software program that created and calls it on startup. Basically, it is a third-party software mistake.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments