There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-22T04:39:07+00:00

    Windows 8 suggested to rename the folder, I accepted it and it renamed it to Program1.

    I examined the strings inside the files there and found that it is Foxit Reader which I updated yesterday. So I just deleted Program1 and all contained files (there are 3 files). Then I checked Foxit Reader, it works ok.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-15T17:10:23+00:00

    I do not believe there is anything to be concerned about. I went out to the Foxit forums, but I did not see anything. I did not want to create an account for the Foxit forums, just to post this one item, but I have applied and waiting on my confirmation email.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-15T06:20:10+00:00

    I too believe it's a Foxit Reader issue. I've got the same experience but i didn't install the toolbar. Any ideas what to do and if we should be worried? Thanks :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T19:13:39+00:00

    I also did an update to Foxit Reader and now have the PROGRAMS folder in my C drive. Interesting that these posts have all occurred within the last couple of days.  Checked the folder with Malwarebytes and BitDefender and no virus.  Folder has the 3 files mentioned in other posts.  Convinced that it is Foxit related so I deleted the folder PROGRAMS from my C drive.  Restarted and no more error message and everything appears to be working properly, including Foxit.  Wonder why Foxit did it this way, they should know about the potential system conflict with creating a folder called PROGRAM on the C drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments