There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-09T14:51:59+00:00

    I know this is an old thread but this happened to me today and i managed to fix it, so maybe someone will find this helpful...

    We use Webroot secure anywhere which is managed from a remote console, so unfortunatly it wasn't just a case of add/remove from program files.

    Tried removing it from the remote console but that didnt work.

    There was a file (not folder) called "Program Files" in C:\

    I said yes to rename the folder and it renames the file to "Program Files1" however after every restart the error comes back.

    What i done to fix:

    Rename the file to "Program Files1.exe" (You might have to enable it so you can view file extensions under folder view and have admin rights)

    Restart the computer and go into safe mode.

    Once in Safe Mode, open the command prompt as administrator.

    Type: cd c:\

    Then type: program files1.exe - uninstall

    once uninstall is complete make sure there is no other trace of webroot in add/remove programs.

    Restart computer and everything should be working ok.

    Now re-install the latest version of webroot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-27T12:31:26+00:00

    Oh Dear,,, It looks like you have the same exact file in your Program Files that webroot put in your program files like in mine.

    You need to get logged in as ADMINISTRATOR on your computer and your log in must be as far as the computer is concerned as Admin. Since I don't kknow what kind of computer you have or operating system you have I can't tell you how to do it. But in mine I have to go to the Users thing in my control pannel, and have to click on edit or make changes link or whatever it said in there, can't remember exactly and eventually found where I can name myself Administrator. Then I took what I'm logged in the computer with and clicked on ''As Administrator'' and it worked. It might want your login name and password first.

    Then after you are Administrator, then you will be able to delete that out of your program files or rename it.  But now, when that popup comes on when I reboot or turn my computer on, I clicked on that little box that says to not show me anymore notifications on ''Same Name'' files, and it  WENT AWAY!!!!  YEAAAY!  But that doesn't even work for you you, huh? I'm glad it worked for me bacause then webroot can use the file for getting rid of my virus's ....  And I don't think it would be able to use the file if I rename it.  Webroot software wouldn't be able to recognize it.

    I just Reread your post and saw you say that you ARE Administrator on your computer?  Ohhh  Now I'm kinda lost too. Go into your Users and click on As Admin over again and click OK or done and see what happens.  Are there more than one Name in your Users? And Maybe the Wrong Name is Administrator than what you are logged into your computer with?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-06T13:30:09+00:00

    No one answered my question about if everyone having this problem has  WEBROOT ...!

    that's where that file came from I was having the problem.  

    I finally got tired of Xing out of the box everytime I turned the computer on or rebooted and clicked on the button that says something like  'Disable Warnings'.  Don't know just what it said. Now I don't get anymore popups.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-02T16:13:44+00:00

    It would be nice for people like me to have a response/solution in much less technical jargon. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments