There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-31T23:17:34+00:00

    I found that my AV was the process attemting to run and it failed... as soon as I clicked on Rename it to Program1, it created a file with NO extention on the C:\

    as soon as I renamed it to Program1.exe ... it changed it launched and worked fine.

    Interesting :-/

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T02:11:36+00:00

    If it says  ''Program'' double name, then that means that something in your Program Files is in there named Program. In mine, Webroot gave me an update and a file named Program got put in my Program Files. So I get the Pop Up!!

     Just for the heck of it I renamed the file in my Program Files named ''Program'' to something else,  and the popup went away when I booted back up.  BUT !!!!    when the file is renamed, then my Webroot probably would not work properly and to to or find this file so it will work my Webroot Antivirus with everything it has to be effective.  So I renamed it back so the Webroot would be able to find the file to use in my antivirus.. I just put up with Xing out the Pop Up when I reboot.........

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-29T01:58:06+00:00

    I have Webroot for an antivirus and when I clicked on an update, one of the files to run the program was put in my Program Files on my computer. So I had a file named Program, And it was in my Program Files and that is where I got the double name warning. I wrote Webroot to find out what I can do and they didn't respond.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-16T15:20:26+00:00

    I am facing same issue after installing Oracle 12c Enterprise manager.

    can anyone suggest complete solution.

    My file in my Programs is from an update run that belongs to Webroot. It's an antivirus thing.  And it threw a file in my  ''Programs''  And it's named  ''Program''

    So my Complete Solution is wait for Webroot to contact me and they can tell me what to do with it.  Like I said, I can rename it and the file warning goes away. But I don't think when I'm running Webroot, that the antivirus will find that file to use it in finding my viruses. So I just leave it the way it is named just Program and put up with Xing out of the file warning everytime I reboot

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments