When I record a narration then play it, there is no sound

Anonymous
2013-05-24T12:30:56+00:00

Original title: Help! Narration- Movie Maker 12

I'm using movie maker 2012- windows 8 but can't record any narration? I've got a mic and headset plugged in, which my laptop is picking up fine... When I record Narration and save as a file, then play back there is no sound! I can't When I go to video volume options it's just grey and blocked out so I can't change anything there.... any ideas? Many thanks, Chris.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-25T05:46:38+00:00

Hi ChrisChambers1988,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I understand that you're not able to record any narration in Movie Maker. It's possible that the mic you're using is not properly plugged in so to rule out that this is contributing to the issue, kindly plug in and plug out your mic.

Furthermore, kindly record a narration using your computer's Sound Recorder then check if you can hear the audio afterwards.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-21T14:08:24+00:00

    Uploaded to private thread, thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-21T07:10:54+00:00

    Hi wcs2,

    We apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered regarding not being able to hear the audio in your narration. At this point, we'll need you to provide us the log files for Movie Maker so that we can investigate why this issue is happening on your end. To continue, please follow the steps in this article:

    How to gather Log files for Movie Maker

    Please upload the log files in the private message area that I have provided for you. To view it, be sure that you are signed in to Microsoft Community and click the notification which states that “You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private message section" or by clicking the “Private Messages” tab.

    Kindly reply to this post once you have uploaded the logs.

    Thanks,

    Glenda

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-21T07:08:03+00:00

    Hi Steph,

    Thank you for posting here. I understand that you're also having issues with the audio in your narration. Let me assist you with this.

    Just for isolation purposes, can you hear the audio when you record using the Sound Recorder in your PC?

    To answer your question above, yes, you do need a mic if you want to record a narration.

    We'll wait for your response.

    Regards,

    Glenda

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T22:46:27+00:00

    This seems to be a bug in the current version of Movie Maker. 

    If I export my movie to say, Vimeo format (which is what I normally do), I can hear my narration. When I play it in Movie Maker, though, I can't hear it at all.

    I've been reading about this problem and it seems to be widespread. Hopefully we'll get an update when a patch is released.

    (And for those at MS listening: current version of MM, Win 7, all updates installed, used the FixIt tool, no bad codecs, mike works and so on - it's really Movie Maker that has the issue with playback).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments