When I record a narration then play it, there is no sound

Anonymous
2013-05-24T12:30:56+00:00

Original title: Help! Narration- Movie Maker 12

I'm using movie maker 2012- windows 8 but can't record any narration? I've got a mic and headset plugged in, which my laptop is picking up fine... When I record Narration and save as a file, then play back there is no sound! I can't When I go to video volume options it's just grey and blocked out so I can't change anything there.... any ideas? Many thanks, Chris.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-25T05:46:38+00:00

Hi ChrisChambers1988,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I understand that you're not able to record any narration in Movie Maker. It's possible that the mic you're using is not properly plugged in so to rule out that this is contributing to the issue, kindly plug in and plug out your mic.

Furthermore, kindly record a narration using your computer's Sound Recorder then check if you can hear the audio afterwards.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-22T08:17:47+00:00

    Hello molliebrown70,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum. I understand that you're receiving the same issue as the first poster but, your microphone is working fine when using a different program. No worries, I will be helping you on your inquiry.

    Since you can use your microphone on Powerpoint and the issue only happens when using the narration feature of Movie Maker, it is possible that there's a corrupted data on the program. To troubleshoot/isolate the case, please repair Windows Movie Maker by following the steps below:

    For Windows 8:

    1. Click the Windows button on your keyboard.
    2. Type Control Panel and hit Enter.
    3. Click Programs.
    4. Click Programs and Features.
    5. Search for Windows Essentials 2012 on the list and then select it.
    6. Click Uninstall/Change.
    7. Click Repair all Windows Essentials programs.

    For Windows Vista/7:

    1. Click the Start menu.
    2. Click Control Panel.
    3. Click Programs.
    4. Click Programs and Features.
    5. Search for Windows Essentials 2012 on the list and then select it.
    6. Click Uninstall/Change.
    7. Click Repair all Windows Essentials programs.

    Let us know the results afterwards.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-21T23:11:05+00:00

    I have a microphone with headset.  I can accurately record and play narration directly on my powerpoint with it.  When I try to record using up to date movie maker, I can see the sound waves under the individual power point pictures, but the narration volume icon remains turned off.  When you click on it to adjust volume, there is a red line through the  sound button on the left, indicating it is closed and not working.  What do I do to make that narration volume icon active?   

    Am I missing a step?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T00:33:04+00:00

    Hello wcs2,

    We sincerely apologize for the delays on responding to your inquiry. We cannot provide a specific timeframe as to when a resolution or troubleshooting procedure will be given to us from our product specialists. What we can assure you is that this issue is on their end. We can also confirm that an update will be given to this forum.

    Your patience is highly appreciated.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-25T21:06:50+00:00

    IT HAS BEEN 2 MORE WEEKS OF SILENCE!!!!

    35 days since I originally posted.

    25 days since the last bit of support.

    14 days since I've heard from you at all, and that was just a "please be patient".

    This is ridiculous and unprofessional. No one, anywhere, in the IT world makes a customer wait 25 days for an update from a developer. It is abundantly clear that your tech support doesn't give a damn.

    What makes anyone in your department think this is ok?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments