When I record a narration then play it, there is no sound

Anonymous
2013-05-24T12:30:56+00:00

Original title: Help! Narration- Movie Maker 12

I'm using movie maker 2012- windows 8 but can't record any narration? I've got a mic and headset plugged in, which my laptop is picking up fine... When I record Narration and save as a file, then play back there is no sound! I can't When I go to video volume options it's just grey and blocked out so I can't change anything there.... any ideas? Many thanks, Chris.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-25T05:46:38+00:00

Hi ChrisChambers1988,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I understand that you're not able to record any narration in Movie Maker. It's possible that the mic you're using is not properly plugged in so to rule out that this is contributing to the issue, kindly plug in and plug out your mic.

Furthermore, kindly record a narration using your computer's Sound Recorder then check if you can hear the audio afterwards.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T19:00:53+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-20T19:00:15+00:00

    I'm new at this and started using Movie Maker about a week ago.   I uploaded video from my camera and all works fine.  I do want to edit some narration, but as others have stated, there is no sound from the narration - just the original uploaded video.  Stupid question - do I need to a mic to add narration?  I'm using Skype without an issue.  Thanks for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-12T14:55:24+00:00

    Hi AmeliaRennison,

    Thank you for posting your concern here and we sincerely apologize for not being able to answer your concern in a timely manner. We would like to verify if you are still encountering the issue.

    If yes, there are reasons why you encountered it and what we need to do is to isolate them. We would like you to check and ensure that these factors don't contribute to the issue:

    Outdated version of Movie Maker

    Ensure that you have the latest the version of your Windows Movie Maker.

    Unsupported file types

    Check that the file types you are using are supported. A list of supported formats can be found here.

    Bad Codecs

    Ensure that you have the proper codecs to play your videos and audio files. Audio and video require codecs to play the file and it’s important to have the right codecs installed or updated in your PC.

    • You may try fixing bad codecs by referring to this link: Microsoft FixIt tool
    • Media info will be able to identify any issues with missing or faulty codecs and whether it’s already installed in your computer or not. Get here.

    Note: If can't find the codec, you may convert the video to a supported format (eg. wmv) and then add it to your Windows Movie Maker project.

    Let us know the results afterwards.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-15T09:33:40+00:00

    hi i have pretty much the same problem - i have been using movie maker for a while now and it has worked fine but today when i added narration to my video and then saved it i cannot hear any sound from the video at all but when i play both the video and the narration in media player the sound is fine and you can hear it easily :3 i don't have my sound down or anything like that ? i have a windows 8/8.1 computer ??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments