When I record a narration then play it, there is no sound

Anonymous
2013-05-24T12:30:56+00:00

Original title: Help! Narration- Movie Maker 12

I'm using movie maker 2012- windows 8 but can't record any narration? I've got a mic and headset plugged in, which my laptop is picking up fine... When I record Narration and save as a file, then play back there is no sound! I can't When I go to video volume options it's just grey and blocked out so I can't change anything there.... any ideas? Many thanks, Chris.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-25T05:46:38+00:00

Hi ChrisChambers1988,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I understand that you're not able to record any narration in Movie Maker. It's possible that the mic you're using is not properly plugged in so to rule out that this is contributing to the issue, kindly plug in and plug out your mic.

Furthermore, kindly record a narration using your computer's Sound Recorder then check if you can hear the audio afterwards.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-17T00:42:03+00:00

    I was having this problem too...seems that MovieMaker automatically chose my microphone as the default speaker because it's Microsoft.  Needless to say, I wasn't going to hear anything out of my microphone. Check to see if MovieMaker is trying to conduct audio playback through your microphone:

    File

    Options

    Audio and Video

    Settings (under "Available Audio Devices")

    Playback tab

    One of the options might be your microphone.  That option might be checked.  If it is, that's why you can't hear playback.  Click on one of the other options and try that.  

    h/t to John Gaskell for pointing me in this direction with his 10/2015 response in this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-19T23:21:36+00:00

    I cant record any narration and I have no device plugged in but it says that it can not record from device that is plugged in

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-25T16:14:21+00:00

    I had the same problem and I corrected it

    The solution is to disable and then enable the playback speakers.

    Click on FILE (in Movie maker)

    Select options

    Select Audio and Video

    Under Microphone see: Conexent sound audio HD

    Select settings

    A "Sound" window opens

    Under "playback" select Conextant smart audio (These were already selected in my case.)

    Right click on the selectionSelect "Disable"

    Then "Enable"

    Problem solved

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-07T18:21:20+00:00

    As requested, I have ONCE AGAIN submitted my logs and supplied by version of Movie Maker privately and letting you know in this thread.

    It would be nice to get a response with a solution instead of yet another request for the same information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments