When I record a narration then play it, there is no sound

Anonymous
2013-05-24T12:30:56+00:00

Original title: Help! Narration- Movie Maker 12

I'm using movie maker 2012- windows 8 but can't record any narration? I've got a mic and headset plugged in, which my laptop is picking up fine... When I record Narration and save as a file, then play back there is no sound! I can't When I go to video volume options it's just grey and blocked out so I can't change anything there.... any ideas? Many thanks, Chris.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-25T05:46:38+00:00

Hi ChrisChambers1988,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I understand that you're not able to record any narration in Movie Maker. It's possible that the mic you're using is not properly plugged in so to rule out that this is contributing to the issue, kindly plug in and plug out your mic.

Furthermore, kindly record a narration using your computer's Sound Recorder then check if you can hear the audio afterwards.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-19T01:50:39+00:00

    Hello William,

    Thank you for the information that you've given. I will be re-escalating your issue to our support specialist for further assistance. We appreciate your kind consideration on the matter.

    Regards,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-18T22:26:13+00:00

    Hello,

    All of these questions were answered at the beginning. Please read the thread and you will see this issue is limited to Movie Maker as it is a Movie Maker playback issue. Codecs have been ruled out, unsupported file types are not relevant to this issue and the volume control is the colume in MM. Again, all of this is taking place within MM. And again, please read the actual thread which I have been waiting for months to have resolved before starting at the beginning with things that waste your time and mine as they were addressed in May. It is now September.

    William

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-17T06:09:24+00:00

    Hello wcs2,

    First, we would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. If you're still receiving the same issues on your Windows Movie Maker, please follow the steps below to record any sound to isolate if the issue was in your microphone or Movie Maker:

    1. Press Windows button.
    2. On Start screen, type Sound Recorder.
    3. You'll see on the results the Sound Recorder. Click it or just press  Enter.

    As for the adjustment of volume, we would like to know what "volume" are you trying to adjust and what are the exact steps you took in adjusting so we can isolate what went wrong.

    We would also need to check and ensure that these factors don't contribute to the issue:

    Outdated version of Movie Maker                                                              

    Ensure that you have the latest the version of your Windows Movie Maker.

    Unsupported file types

    Check that the file types you are using are supported. A list of supported formats can be found  here - What kind of files can I use in Movie Maker?

    Bad Codecs

    Ensure that you have the proper codecs to play your videos and audio files. Audio and video require codecs to play the file and it’s important to have the right codecs installed or updated in your PC.

    •You may try fixing bad codecs by referring to this link: -

    Playing video files crashes or freezes Internet Explorer - Windows

    Note: If can't find the codec, you may convert the video to a supported format (eg. wmv) and then add it to your Windows Movie Maker project.

    Let us know the results afterwards.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-24T11:32:57+00:00

    Hello molliebrown70,

    I'm sorry to know that the issue still persist on your end. Because of this, we would need you to provide screenshots of the issue (please include the red dot that you're seeing)For instructions on how to get a screenshot, please refer here:

    For **Vista/Windows 7**

    You can upload your screenshot on the private message that I have provided. Make sure that you are signed in to see the private message. Afterwards, post a message in the public forum that you’ve uploaded the screenshot/s.

    We'll wait for your response.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments