When I record a narration then play it, there is no sound

Anonymous
2013-05-24T12:30:56+00:00

Original title: Help! Narration- Movie Maker 12

I'm using movie maker 2012- windows 8 but can't record any narration? I've got a mic and headset plugged in, which my laptop is picking up fine... When I record Narration and save as a file, then play back there is no sound! I can't When I go to video volume options it's just grey and blocked out so I can't change anything there.... any ideas? Many thanks, Chris.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-25T05:46:38+00:00

Hi ChrisChambers1988,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I understand that you're not able to record any narration in Movie Maker. It's possible that the mic you're using is not properly plugged in so to rule out that this is contributing to the issue, kindly plug in and plug out your mic.

Furthermore, kindly record a narration using your computer's Sound Recorder then check if you can hear the audio afterwards.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-24T11:28:39+00:00

    Hello SkyfallThe-NightFury,

    Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum. I understand that you're unable to hear your audio when you put your video on Movie Maker. Just to verify, if you were to play the video file in Windows Media Player, do you receive the same issue? This will help us isolate the issue further for us to know the next step in troubleshooting your case.

    We'll wait for your response.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-23T05:42:17+00:00

    I just realized video volume is also toggled off with a red circle and a strike through it.  I think there is something simple I am doing wrong.   I so not think this is a technical problem with Movie Maker.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-23T05:02:28+00:00

    I followed the steps and requested it fix the Windows Essentials.  I have Windows 7.  This did nothing at all.  I restarted the computer, still no change.  Narration remains silent, with a round red dot through the volume, so it cannot be played or heard.  It is turned off somewhere I would gather.  I have checked through my computer the sound card, audio systems, etc, not sure where to go next.  

    I suspect you are being far more technical than needed.  It is likely a simple fix that those of us who are not computer masters have overlooked, simply something that we should toggle on, either in the pc, or elsewhere, some really simple step that you are assuming we have taken care of or should know about.

    I have found this to be a very common problem with people who answer these kinds of questions!  

    From reading this thread, this seems to be a common problem with narration  Are there any non technical steps I should check, within my computer, for example.  When I do playback, should I uncheck microphone and check speakers?  Is it something simple like that?

    Does Windows 7 work well with Windows Essentials 2012?  Should I use 2011? Since this is a recurring problem I am assuming it is because some of us have missed a step that would be obvious to some person with more computer knowledge.  

    I doubt sending the logs will help either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-22T23:48:30+00:00

    I have a similar problem

    I film a video on my camera hear it in my camera

    Put it in windows movie maker Cant hear it

    WTH is with this?

    Can I not use windows movie maker to make and edit videos now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments