When I record a narration then play it, there is no sound

Anonymous
2013-05-24T12:30:56+00:00

Original title: Help! Narration- Movie Maker 12

I'm using movie maker 2012- windows 8 but can't record any narration? I've got a mic and headset plugged in, which my laptop is picking up fine... When I record Narration and save as a file, then play back there is no sound! I can't When I go to video volume options it's just grey and blocked out so I can't change anything there.... any ideas? Many thanks, Chris.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-25T05:46:38+00:00

Hi ChrisChambers1988,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I understand that you're not able to record any narration in Movie Maker. It's possible that the mic you're using is not properly plugged in so to rule out that this is contributing to the issue, kindly plug in and plug out your mic.

Furthermore, kindly record a narration using your computer's Sound Recorder then check if you can hear the audio afterwards.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-20T19:49:35+00:00

    I seem to have the same problem,  Everything worked fine yesterday,  I must have done something but I don't know what. 

    Sound recorder records from the mic, so that's all plugged in and working fine

    when recording from Narration within movie maker its just silent.

    What setting have I changed where to make it do this?

    Thanks

    John

    ok I found it.

    In movie maker, the drop down menu button in the top left.

    Options

    Audio and Video

    Available Audio Devices:   this somehow had changed to my speakers rather than my mic??  

    Reset to mic,  and its working fine again.

    Thanks

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-20T19:32:54+00:00

    I seem to have the same problem,  Everything worked fine yesterday,  I must have done something but I don't know what. 

    Sound recorder records from the mic, so that's all plugged in and working fine

    when recording from Narration within movie maker its just silent.

    What setting have I changed where to make it do this?

    Thanks

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-25T13:12:15+00:00

    Hi Chris,

    Thanks for coming back. You can try the following steps to access your Sound Recorder:

    1. Press Windows button.
    2. On Start screen, type Sound Recorder.
    3. You'll see on the results the Sound Recorder. Click it or just press Enter.

    Try if you can record any sound in that to isolate if the issue was in your mic or in Movie Maker. As for the adjustment of volume, I would like to ask what volume are you trying to adjust and what are the exact steps you took in adjusting so we can isolate what went wrong.

    Regards,

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-25T06:04:30+00:00

    hey,

    Thanks for the reply.

    Yes the mic is plugged in. Do you know where I can access the sound recorder?

    Seems strange I can't adjust volume in movie maker?

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments