I do not have an Xbox How do I stop W8 asking me to log in for every simple game I want to play - e.g. solitaire

Anonymous
2012-12-27T10:23:39+00:00

As in the heading I am getting frustrated

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-09T16:32:30+00:00

Why can't people just answer the question asked!  You didn't ask for an alternative, to avoid your problem, you asked how to fix it!  And then offering suggestions that MIGHT help, but don't, instead of ones that actually do help, are simply misleading.

You CAN get this problem to go away, but you have to jump through a stupid Microsoft hoop to get it to go away.  This problem was plaguing me as well.  I just wanted to SIMPLY PLAY MY GOOD OLD WINDOWS 7 Solitaire, and it lead me through all of this heartache and I ended up here, with this problem too. 

(Microsoft needs to do a lot more research on their "Intuitive Interface" for Windows 8 and learn how to lead people to change properly, without irritating them and taking things away.)

To get rid of this irritating plague, you need to sign-in with your Microsoft Account (a.k.a. (also known as) Windows Live ID, and many other names), creating your XBox games account, using the XBOX games app.

  1. Start the green "Games" app, which should be on your default Metro start screen, if you haven't removed it.  It has a white XBox controller on the green square.
  2. Once that app is running, at the top right, just as in the Microsoft Solitaire Collections app, there should be a sign-in link that you can click on to sign in.  Use your Windows Account to sign-in. 

Once you have your Xbox games account signed-in, it will assign you a generic user name for your Xbox account.  You don't actually have to have an XBox gaming system to have an XBox game account for Windows 8.  (You can create an avatar for your XBox game account while you're signed-in, but don't get tripped up by Microsoft again like I did when you click on your avatar and wonder what to do next.  Once you choose your avatar, you have to (unintuitively) click the check box below the avatar to actually select it.)

  1. From the Metro start screen, click on Microsoft Solitaire Collection app (assuming you added it there.)
  2. Notice that the Microsoft Solitaire Collection has always attempted to automatically sign-in to the XBox games account when started.  Since we didn't have the XBox games account setup, it irritated us with that annoying authentication window every time we simply wanted to play.  Now it should automatically connect and no longer irritate you with that authentication window.

Here is another obscured tip, to "sign-out" of the XBox games account, in case you too were wondering how, but couldn't intuitively determine how from the intuitive interface:

To "sign-out" of Xbox games do this:

a.      Open the Xbox games from start screen.

b.      Press Windows key+C and select Settings.

c.       Select accounts and You will get an option to sign out.

d.      Click on sign out.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-28T14:32:35+00:00

I believe that Microsoft is now requiring  an Xbox live account to play games within the Xbox Games app in Windows 8. I'm almost certain that an Xbox device isn't needed in order to use the Xbox live services.

As you play games in the Windows 8 Xbox app, statistics and achievements are recoded to your Xbox live profile. These can be games on a phone, PC, tablet or the Xbox console itself.

If you download and install traditional games via the desktop or install games with a service like Steam, then you would be bypassing the Xbox app altogether and would not need to sign in with an Xbox account.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-05T11:30:32+00:00

    What a great and thorough answer, and all that's exactly why I choose to use Linux and only bought this phone to see how things were on the dark side, seems nothing has changed eh .............

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-02-10T19:46:06+00:00

    I have a new computer with Windows 10 and I don't have an x box. However I have a gamer tag displayed. Is this someone elses gamertag?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-10T22:30:21+00:00

    I have a new computer with Windows 10 and I don't have an x box. However I have a gamer tag displayed. Is this someone elses gamertag?

    As I wrote in my comments (dated Nov. 9, 2014), above:

    • You will be assigned some silly user ID ("gamertag") likegoofypinkduck. Write this down somewhere in case you are asked for it unexpectedly, months from now, in the middle of doing something else. You can change this ID to something else for free, but only once!

    Microsoft automatically assigns you a silly ID as part of, what they consider, the fun experience of the Xbox component of the Microsoft ecosystem -- even if you have foolishly (in their opinion) neglected to buy an Xbox. There is nothing you can about it. Just accept the silly name even though you won't be playing Elsa's-double-whammy-Frozen-solitaire online with all your Xbox owning friends.  

    I recommend that you go to the privacy settings and turn off sharing. Ths way your online presence won't be revealed to the world and you won't get invites from strangers around the world to join you in multi-player sessions of solitaire. Read my comments from Nov. 9, 2014 on how to do this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments