Kernel Power Critical Error, event id 41

Anonymous
2013-02-01T18:35:44+00:00

Good afternoon,

I have been having this problem for a little while now and it's incredibly frustrating.

At random intervals my system will restart without warning.  I have disabled the automatic restarting in the system protection settings and I have read through the Knowledge Base articale found here: ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504 ).

I am not overclocking my system and I have run MemTest to check the system memory.  My Power Supply is a 500w unit and my usage is far below that as best I can tell (Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, Intel i5 3450, Corsair 2x8GB RAM, WD 340 GB HD, HP DVD Writer, USB Mouse, Keyboard, Headphone, WebCam, and  5 cooling fans).  All my fans are running, operating correctly and free of dust (I blow them out regularly).

Windows is up to date and I have updated all of the drivers (I think) that I can.  I have also enabled the kernel dump feature in the system protection settings and, as of yet, no dump file has been created by any of these events (13 in the last 7 days

  • 5 today).

This error occurs at random intervals, even when the system is sitting idle in the middle of the night.  I have allowed my system to sit with a Linux Live CD loaded up and have not noticed it rebooting then, so I am guessing it's not a loss of power kind of thing; it very much appears to be some kind of problem with Windows and the software drivers or hardware that I have.  This is extremely frustrating and I just want my system to work and not feel like I have to fight with it to do so; dare I say it kind of makes want a Mac (*ducks*).

If anyone has any ideas, please help me out.  I'm debating whether to pull my own hair out or throw the computer out the window.

Thanks,

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-11T23:50:37+00:00

Your last sentence caused me to realise none of your recent unexpected restarts have resulted in the production of a dump file.

Most system failures result in a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and a dumpfile report is created providing that the computer has been configured to create reports.  In a limited number of system failures no dumpfile is created. A report is generated when the computer is next booted and placed in the System Log in Event Viewer. The report is given an Event ID number 6008 and gives very little helpful information, save that the cause is unknown and that it occurred at the date and time specified. . A further report is placed in the Reliability Monitor with a red orb on the Miscellaneous Failures line and it is recorded as a Critical Failure. Unfortunately the Technical Details for this type of failure reveal no additional information.

The more common causes of this type of failure all relate to power failure.

These can be because:

  1. The user has pressed the Power On / Off button.
  2. A power failure or a loss of supply to home or office where the computer is located. If this has happened it will often be obvious because electric lights are other electrical appliances switch off.
  3. A faulty electrical appliance on the same electrical circuit as the computer or the computer trips the contact breaker or blows a fuse and switches off the supply for safety reasons.
  4. The power cable between the mains power socket and the computer becomes disconnected at either end.
  5. A power surge or lightning strike occurs. Your computer should connect to an uninterruptible power supply unit, which then connects to the mains supply. If an incident occurs you will have to reset the uninterruptible power supply unit. Without one of these units in place a lightning strike or power surge can damage the computer beyond repair.
  6. A faulty power supply unit. The best test here is to remove the existing power supply unit and replace with a known good power supply unit having the same capacity. Most home users do not keep a spare power supply unit to hand.
  7. A damaged or disconnected power cable or motherboard connector within the computer. You can check the cable is properly connected but a damaged motherboard is not easily checked.
  8. If the computer is a laptop check whether the battery can be fully charged, holds the charge and was or was not connected to a mains supply when the failure occurred.

A related Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T00:38:06+00:00

    Michael

    Device PNP Device ID Error Code 

    Not Available USB\VID_0CF3&PID_3000\6&DF2EE03&0&7 The drivers for this device are not installed. 

    This is what I asked you to do earlier.

    Try installing these drivers for your unknown device.

    http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-bluetooth-download.php?chipset=57&system=6

    Unzip the download and place the contents in a folder on your desktop. Open Device Manager and select the Driver tab for the unknown device. Click on Update driver and Browse my computer for driver software. Browse to the folder where you have placed the extracted files. Then do whatever is necessary.

    To which you replied.

    The driver has been successfully installed.

    I think you need to try again to install this driver as something is not right.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T00:23:14+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T00:11:53+00:00

    Michael

    Please provide an updated System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share and post a link here

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-07T21:29:19+00:00

    Gerry,

    I installed the Adviser as instructed.  When I ran it the first time it says that the BlueTooth device (that you found the driver for) is not compatible, along with the Logitech SetPoint software.  I updated the SetPoint software and during that, the computer rebooted.  Perhaps the BlueTooth device just needs to be disabled, though it would be nice to be able to use it.

    I uploaded to my Skydrive a new set of system and application logs along with both Adviser reports that I ran; before and after updating the Logitech Drivers.

    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=62C91C18AE0BDB44&id=62C91C18AE0BDB44%21108

    Hopefully all of this provides more information.

    Thanks,

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments