Kernel Power Critical Error, event id 41

Anonymous
2013-02-01T18:35:44+00:00

Good afternoon,

I have been having this problem for a little while now and it's incredibly frustrating.

At random intervals my system will restart without warning.  I have disabled the automatic restarting in the system protection settings and I have read through the Knowledge Base articale found here: ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504 ).

I am not overclocking my system and I have run MemTest to check the system memory.  My Power Supply is a 500w unit and my usage is far below that as best I can tell (Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, Intel i5 3450, Corsair 2x8GB RAM, WD 340 GB HD, HP DVD Writer, USB Mouse, Keyboard, Headphone, WebCam, and  5 cooling fans).  All my fans are running, operating correctly and free of dust (I blow them out regularly).

Windows is up to date and I have updated all of the drivers (I think) that I can.  I have also enabled the kernel dump feature in the system protection settings and, as of yet, no dump file has been created by any of these events (13 in the last 7 days

  • 5 today).

This error occurs at random intervals, even when the system is sitting idle in the middle of the night.  I have allowed my system to sit with a Linux Live CD loaded up and have not noticed it rebooting then, so I am guessing it's not a loss of power kind of thing; it very much appears to be some kind of problem with Windows and the software drivers or hardware that I have.  This is extremely frustrating and I just want my system to work and not feel like I have to fight with it to do so; dare I say it kind of makes want a Mac (*ducks*).

If anyone has any ideas, please help me out.  I'm debating whether to pull my own hair out or throw the computer out the window.

Thanks,

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-11T23:50:37+00:00

Your last sentence caused me to realise none of your recent unexpected restarts have resulted in the production of a dump file.

Most system failures result in a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and a dumpfile report is created providing that the computer has been configured to create reports.  In a limited number of system failures no dumpfile is created. A report is generated when the computer is next booted and placed in the System Log in Event Viewer. The report is given an Event ID number 6008 and gives very little helpful information, save that the cause is unknown and that it occurred at the date and time specified. . A further report is placed in the Reliability Monitor with a red orb on the Miscellaneous Failures line and it is recorded as a Critical Failure. Unfortunately the Technical Details for this type of failure reveal no additional information.

The more common causes of this type of failure all relate to power failure.

These can be because:

  1. The user has pressed the Power On / Off button.
  2. A power failure or a loss of supply to home or office where the computer is located. If this has happened it will often be obvious because electric lights are other electrical appliances switch off.
  3. A faulty electrical appliance on the same electrical circuit as the computer or the computer trips the contact breaker or blows a fuse and switches off the supply for safety reasons.
  4. The power cable between the mains power socket and the computer becomes disconnected at either end.
  5. A power surge or lightning strike occurs. Your computer should connect to an uninterruptible power supply unit, which then connects to the mains supply. If an incident occurs you will have to reset the uninterruptible power supply unit. Without one of these units in place a lightning strike or power surge can damage the computer beyond repair.
  6. A faulty power supply unit. The best test here is to remove the existing power supply unit and replace with a known good power supply unit having the same capacity. Most home users do not keep a spare power supply unit to hand.
  7. A damaged or disconnected power cable or motherboard connector within the computer. You can check the cable is properly connected but a damaged motherboard is not easily checked.
  8. If the computer is a laptop check whether the battery can be fully charged, holds the charge and was or was not connected to a mains supply when the failure occurred.

A related Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T13:01:09+00:00

    Michael

    I think you should uninstall the hardware device.

    http://www.pctips3000.com/uninstall-hardware-device-driver-from-windows-7/

    When you have done this restart your computer and Plug and Play should reinstall the Device. You can then reinstall the driver for the device.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T02:22:41+00:00

    Gerry,

    From the device manager I uninstalled the blue tooth device driver, rebooted and Windws found the driver and installed it again, without issue, and the device shows as working properly.  The upgrade adviser still reports the device as incompatible.

    I also checked the device manager for duplicate devices and see none.  The only thing different is that I now have two "other devices" which are logitech devices that showed up after updating the SetPoint software.

    Is there anything else that we can check?

    Thanks,

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T01:43:23+00:00

    Michael

    That is really strange. You have any entry in the System Information file saying the device has no driver and the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor saying the driver is not compatible.

    Can you please recheck Device Manager to see if the device has been recorded twice. In particular check for Hidden and Ghosted Devices.

    To see Hidden Devices (Non Plug and Play Drivers) you need to select View, Show Hidden Devices. It is necessary to do this every time you open Device Manager if you need to see them.

    A further complication can be Ghosted Devices –installed but not connected!

    http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005/04/29/display-hidden-devices-in-device-manager-xp/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T01:07:38+00:00

    Gerry,

    Yes.  I installed that driver and it completed successfully and the yellow warning icon even disappeared from the device manager, see the screen shot I have uploaded to my skydrive.

    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=62C91C18AE0BDB44&id=62C91C18AE0BDB44%21108

    I will install the driver again, but as you can see in the screen shot, Windows thinks the device is working properly.

    Thanks,

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments