Kernel Power Critical Error, event id 41

Anonymous
2013-02-01T18:35:44+00:00

Good afternoon,

I have been having this problem for a little while now and it's incredibly frustrating.

At random intervals my system will restart without warning.  I have disabled the automatic restarting in the system protection settings and I have read through the Knowledge Base articale found here: ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504 ).

I am not overclocking my system and I have run MemTest to check the system memory.  My Power Supply is a 500w unit and my usage is far below that as best I can tell (Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, Intel i5 3450, Corsair 2x8GB RAM, WD 340 GB HD, HP DVD Writer, USB Mouse, Keyboard, Headphone, WebCam, and  5 cooling fans).  All my fans are running, operating correctly and free of dust (I blow them out regularly).

Windows is up to date and I have updated all of the drivers (I think) that I can.  I have also enabled the kernel dump feature in the system protection settings and, as of yet, no dump file has been created by any of these events (13 in the last 7 days

  • 5 today).

This error occurs at random intervals, even when the system is sitting idle in the middle of the night.  I have allowed my system to sit with a Linux Live CD loaded up and have not noticed it rebooting then, so I am guessing it's not a loss of power kind of thing; it very much appears to be some kind of problem with Windows and the software drivers or hardware that I have.  This is extremely frustrating and I just want my system to work and not feel like I have to fight with it to do so; dare I say it kind of makes want a Mac (*ducks*).

If anyone has any ideas, please help me out.  I'm debating whether to pull my own hair out or throw the computer out the window.

Thanks,

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-11T23:50:37+00:00

Your last sentence caused me to realise none of your recent unexpected restarts have resulted in the production of a dump file.

Most system failures result in a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and a dumpfile report is created providing that the computer has been configured to create reports.  In a limited number of system failures no dumpfile is created. A report is generated when the computer is next booted and placed in the System Log in Event Viewer. The report is given an Event ID number 6008 and gives very little helpful information, save that the cause is unknown and that it occurred at the date and time specified. . A further report is placed in the Reliability Monitor with a red orb on the Miscellaneous Failures line and it is recorded as a Critical Failure. Unfortunately the Technical Details for this type of failure reveal no additional information.

The more common causes of this type of failure all relate to power failure.

These can be because:

  1. The user has pressed the Power On / Off button.
  2. A power failure or a loss of supply to home or office where the computer is located. If this has happened it will often be obvious because electric lights are other electrical appliances switch off.
  3. A faulty electrical appliance on the same electrical circuit as the computer or the computer trips the contact breaker or blows a fuse and switches off the supply for safety reasons.
  4. The power cable between the mains power socket and the computer becomes disconnected at either end.
  5. A power surge or lightning strike occurs. Your computer should connect to an uninterruptible power supply unit, which then connects to the mains supply. If an incident occurs you will have to reset the uninterruptible power supply unit. Without one of these units in place a lightning strike or power surge can damage the computer beyond repair.
  6. A faulty power supply unit. The best test here is to remove the existing power supply unit and replace with a known good power supply unit having the same capacity. Most home users do not keep a spare power supply unit to hand.
  7. A damaged or disconnected power cable or motherboard connector within the computer. You can check the cable is properly connected but a damaged motherboard is not easily checked.
  8. If the computer is a laptop check whether the battery can be fully charged, holds the charge and was or was not connected to a mains supply when the failure occurred.

A related Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-11T16:19:09+00:00

    Michael

    I have had some further thoughts.

    When are reinstalling SetPoint what is the source used to reinstall? Is it a DVD / CD or a fresh download from the Logitech web site?

    You have three Logitech devices. Are you able to isolate the problem to using the Set Point with a single device.  To do this you would need a PS/2 keyboard and mouse; the sort that were commonly used before USB keyboards become popular. You can then uninstall the the three devices. I would then install the camera and see if the SetPoint application still generates errors. If not then test keyboard on it's own. 

    Webcams being newer technology tend to generate errors including BSOD errors. Most older keyboards tend not to generate errors, although there are notable exceptions, e.g. Microsoft Multimedia keyboards are awkward to reset because of the timing of activation of Function keys. I have two Logitech keyboards. One is a replacement where the Mouse left button stopped functioning properly after 14 months. You also need to avoid placing other electrical devices in close proximity to the receiver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T16:25:09+00:00

    Gerry,

    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the SetPoint Application, I have also verified that the version I am using is 6.51.8; also, the driver version is 5.50.98.

    I have also uploaded a new application log, system log, and a SetPoint Report to my Skydrive:

    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=62C91C18AE0BDB44&id=62C91C18AE0BDB44%21108

    You are also correct on my logitech devices;  I have a G930 headset, a LX7 Laser Mouse and EX110 keyboard.  The keyboard and mouse came as a combo and run off of one odd looking receiver instead of the newer micro USB receivers.  Everyone puts their back and forward buttons on the side nowadays and I just prefer them to be on the top near the scroll bar.

    Please let me know if you need any more details.

    Also, thank you again for helping me with this.  You have spent a great deal of time on all of this and I greatly appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T10:33:43+00:00

    Michael

    That report is I think referring to the Logitech Set Point Event Manager. The conventional wisdom is to uninstall and reinstall the application. I think version 6.51.8.0 is the latest version.

    The Logitech devices from your System Information file that I have noted are:

    Logitech G930 Headset

    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse

    I also suspect you have a Logitech keyboard.

    It might kelp to know the model details for each device. Also to see updated Event Viwer logs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-10T02:44:03+00:00

    Gerry,

    It's been a bit more than 24 hours since the last reboot and that reboot was a few hours before I updated the ASUS Drivers.

    I am seeing an Error in the Application Logs with the SetPoiint software for the Logitech devices.  That error has occurred several times since the last reboot:

    Log Name:      Application

    Source:        Application Error

    Date:          2/9/2013 12:28:09 AM

    Event ID:      1000

    Task Category: (100)

    Level:         Error

    Keywords:      Classic

    User:          N/A

    Computer:      Squishy

    Description:

    Faulting application name: SetPoint.exe, version: 6.51.8.0, time stamp: 0x5096a41f

    Faulting module name: MacroCore.dll, version: 6.51.8.0, time stamp: 0x5096a3a3

    Exception code: 0xc000041d

    Fault offset: 0x0000000000003c20

    Faulting process id: 0xad0

    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce0655027a03f9

    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe

    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\Macros\MacroCore.dll

    Report Id: 7c9613de-7279-11e2-aca8-c86000307ad6

    Event Xml:

    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

    <System>

    <Provider Name="Application Error" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>100</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-02-09T05:28:09.000000000Z" />

    <EventRecordID>2525</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>Application</Channel>

    <Computer>Squishy</Computer>

    <Security />

    </System>

    <EventData>

    <Data>SetPoint.exe</Data>

    <Data>6.51.8.0</Data>

    <Data>5096a41f</Data>

    <Data>MacroCore.dll</Data>

    <Data>6.51.8.0</Data>

    <Data>5096a3a3</Data>

    <Data>c000041d</Data>

    <Data>0000000000003c20</Data>

    <Data>ad0</Data>

    <Data>01ce0655027a03f9</Data>

    <Data>C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\SetPoint.exe</Data>

    <Data>C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\Macros\MacroCore.dll</Data>

    <Data>7c9613de-7279-11e2-aca8-c86000307ad6</Data>

    </EventData>

    </Event>

    I don't think this is related to the reboots, since it hasn't rebooted around the same time ... but it is a problem.

    Thanks,

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments