Kernel Power Critical Error, event id 41

Anonymous
2013-02-01T18:35:44+00:00

Good afternoon,

I have been having this problem for a little while now and it's incredibly frustrating.

At random intervals my system will restart without warning.  I have disabled the automatic restarting in the system protection settings and I have read through the Knowledge Base articale found here: ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504 ).

I am not overclocking my system and I have run MemTest to check the system memory.  My Power Supply is a 500w unit and my usage is far below that as best I can tell (Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, Intel i5 3450, Corsair 2x8GB RAM, WD 340 GB HD, HP DVD Writer, USB Mouse, Keyboard, Headphone, WebCam, and  5 cooling fans).  All my fans are running, operating correctly and free of dust (I blow them out regularly).

Windows is up to date and I have updated all of the drivers (I think) that I can.  I have also enabled the kernel dump feature in the system protection settings and, as of yet, no dump file has been created by any of these events (13 in the last 7 days

  • 5 today).

This error occurs at random intervals, even when the system is sitting idle in the middle of the night.  I have allowed my system to sit with a Linux Live CD loaded up and have not noticed it rebooting then, so I am guessing it's not a loss of power kind of thing; it very much appears to be some kind of problem with Windows and the software drivers or hardware that I have.  This is extremely frustrating and I just want my system to work and not feel like I have to fight with it to do so; dare I say it kind of makes want a Mac (*ducks*).

If anyone has any ideas, please help me out.  I'm debating whether to pull my own hair out or throw the computer out the window.

Thanks,

Michael

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-11T23:50:37+00:00

Your last sentence caused me to realise none of your recent unexpected restarts have resulted in the production of a dump file.

Most system failures result in a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and a dumpfile report is created providing that the computer has been configured to create reports.  In a limited number of system failures no dumpfile is created. A report is generated when the computer is next booted and placed in the System Log in Event Viewer. The report is given an Event ID number 6008 and gives very little helpful information, save that the cause is unknown and that it occurred at the date and time specified. . A further report is placed in the Reliability Monitor with a red orb on the Miscellaneous Failures line and it is recorded as a Critical Failure. Unfortunately the Technical Details for this type of failure reveal no additional information.

The more common causes of this type of failure all relate to power failure.

These can be because:

  1. The user has pressed the Power On / Off button.
  2. A power failure or a loss of supply to home or office where the computer is located. If this has happened it will often be obvious because electric lights are other electrical appliances switch off.
  3. A faulty electrical appliance on the same electrical circuit as the computer or the computer trips the contact breaker or blows a fuse and switches off the supply for safety reasons.
  4. The power cable between the mains power socket and the computer becomes disconnected at either end.
  5. A power surge or lightning strike occurs. Your computer should connect to an uninterruptible power supply unit, which then connects to the mains supply. If an incident occurs you will have to reset the uninterruptible power supply unit. Without one of these units in place a lightning strike or power surge can damage the computer beyond repair.
  6. A faulty power supply unit. The best test here is to remove the existing power supply unit and replace with a known good power supply unit having the same capacity. Most home users do not keep a spare power supply unit to hand.
  7. A damaged or disconnected power cable or motherboard connector within the computer. You can check the cable is properly connected but a damaged motherboard is not easily checked.
  8. If the computer is a laptop check whether the battery can be fully charged, holds the charge and was or was not connected to a mains supply when the failure occurred.

A related Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-12T18:47:48+00:00

    Thanks Michael for reporting the outcome. A tortuous jorney but we got there.

    Please Mark the Answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-03T08:22:55+00:00

    Michael

    You will see Event 6 reports at the very beginning of every boot. It is not related to the problem. You have Microsoft Security Essentials installed so the filter for that software is loaded whenever the computer is booted.  Event 17 is telling you that the system has detected your Marvell 91xx SATA 6G Controller. Again I think is unrelated to your problem.

    You can be misled by the recorded time of events. Event 41 is referring to an event, the unexpected shutdown, which happened before the restart. Event 6013 tells you the exact time the computer restarted and in the body of the report Event 41 gives the time the computer shut down. This must of course be before the restart.

    You have a persistent error being generated by an Atheros AR3011 blue tooth device, which seeking a device driver. It may a device no longer connected to the computer. It may not be the cause of the restarts but it needs fixing.

    Type Device Manager in the Search box above the Start button and press ENTER. Are there any yellow question marks in Device Manager? If yes what is the Device Error code.

    To see Hidden Devices (Non Plug and Play Drivers) you need to select View, Show Hidden Devices. It is necessary to do this every time you open Device Manager if you need to see them.

    A further complication can be Ghosted Devices –installed but not connected!

    http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005/04/29/display-hidden-devices-in-device-manager-xp/

    Error codes in Device Manager:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771355(v=ws.10).aspx

    In Device Manager right click on the device and select Properties, Details tab. You will see displayed Property and Value. To the right of Property is a scroll. From the list accessed using the scroll, select Device Description and this may give an understandable Device Name as the value. Use the scroll again and select Device Instance Path. The value shown will most likely mean nothing to you. Place the cursor on the value, right click and copy into a further message here.

    What Logitech device did you add to your computer on 22 January 2013? Are you experiencing any problems with a Logitech device?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-01T23:57:46+00:00

    Gerry,

    Thank you for you reply.  As requested I have uploaded the two logs to my SkyDrive's public folder; I believe the correct link this:

    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=62C91C18AE0BDB44&id=62C91C18AE0BDB44%21108

    If you need any additional information, please feel free to ask.

    Thank you again!

    Michael

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-01T18:43:24+00:00

    Michael

    Please upload and share copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments