JXR file Windows Photo Gallery.

Anonymous
2012-12-30T17:31:28+00:00

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

 I have started to receiving this message every time I open Windows Photo Gallery.

( Would you like to use Photo Gallery to open these types of files JXR. )

I have checked the box Don't show me this again for these files.

It doesn't matter if I check it or not, every time I get or add picture this message comes up.

Can anyone tell me how to stop this, it is getting very annoying.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-30T18:02:30+00:00

Hi, Twyntoo,

Was Windows Photo Gallery working fine until now?

Is Windows Photo Gallery the default program for opening jpeg xr files?

Do you have other imaging software which may conflict installed?  e.g. PhotoShop, Corel PSP, etc...

Start > Default Programs

Select Set Your Default Programs

Select Windows Photo Gallery

Select Set This Program as Default

Click Ok

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-01T22:31:51+00:00

Yes, I ran all advised programs by Leonard_su.

#1 Ran SFC came up all good

#2 typed in suggestion in command prompt, got following reply, The system cannot find the path specified. I copied and paste the command into the command prompt and got the same answer.

#3 Typed in suggestion into search programs and files, received the path specified cannot be found.

Went to control panel, programs and features and ran repair on Microsoft Security Essentials-Repaired it, shut down PC an restarted, got same result, still asking if I won't to use JXR.

Uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials-shut down PC - Restarted - Same result.

Went to Microsoft and Reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentials - Restarted - same result.

Also uninstalled Windows Live Essentials - reboot - reinstalled - same result.

When I got the question this time, would you like to use Photo Gallery to open these types of files JXR I

placed check mark into box and said no.

I just opened Windows Photo Galley and I DID NOT get the message.

I want to Thank  all that helped  in solving this problem.

I am going to send this and then reboot and see if it comes up again.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-31T01:52:00+00:00

Hi Twyntoo,

We appreciate your efforts for trying the troubleshooting steps and for answering the questions provided by Smittychat. Since the issue still occurs even you already set Photo Gallery as your main program to open all types of files. It's possible that there is some problem with your registry that might cause this issue. To verify this, we request that perform a system file check by following the steps from this link.

After you complete that process, we need you set Photo Gallery as your default program again by following the instruction of Smittychat.

Let us know the result afterwards.

Thank you.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-10-22T15:32:59+00:00

Hi, my name is Vicki, and I have been going nuts just like the rest of you, dealing with

Windows Live Photo Gallery.

I tried all the things on this site to try to try to stop it from asking me everytime:

do you want to use windows photo gallery to open jxr files.

This time instead of checking yes. I checked no.

I have not seen the message again in 1 week.

                            { select  "NO"  to the JXR question }

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-31T17:50:41+00:00

Did you run the scan advised by Leonard_U?

Did you again Set Windows Photo Gallery as default and the issue continues?

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall Programs

Select Windows Live Essentials

Click Uninstall/Change

Select Repair All Windows Live Programs

See if the issue is resolved

If the issue persists, uninstall Windows Live Essentials

Reboot your computer

Reinstall Windows Live Essentials

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/essentials-home

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-03T15:43:36+00:00

    I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

     I have started to receiving this message every time I open Windows Photo Gallery.

    ( Would you like to use Photo Gallery to open these types of files JXR. )

    I have checked the box Don't show me this again for these files.

    It doesn't matter if I check it or not, every time I get or add picture this message comes up.

    Can anyone tell me how to stop this, it is getting very annoying.

    I've solved this bug myself just today.

    The following solution will add .JXR as a WDP image format file extension variant (as supposed to be) and associate the format to Windows Live Photo Gallery.

    Copy the following into a text file (saved as ANSI format) with the extension .reg, e.g. "JXR_file_definition.reg" and then double-click and confirm to add to the registry:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.JXR]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.JXR\ShellEx]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.JXR\ShellEx{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]@="{3F30C968-480A-4C6C-862D-EFC0897BB84B}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.JXR\ShellEx{e357fccd-a995-4576-b01f-234630154e96}]@="{C7657C4A-9F68-40fa-A4DF-96BC08EB3551}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations.JXR]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations.JXR\ShellEx]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations.JXR\ShellEx{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]@="{3F30C968-480A-4C6C-862D-EFC0897BB84B}"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations.JXR\ShellEx{e357fccd-a995-4576-b01f-234630154e96}]@="{C7657C4A-9F68-40fa-A4DF-96BC08EB3551}"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts.jxr]

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts.jxr\OpenWithList]"a"="WLXPhotoGallery.exe""MRUList"="a"

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts.jxr\OpenWithProgids]"wdpfile"=hex(0):

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts.jxr\UserChoice]"Progid"="WindowsLive.PhotoGallery.wdp.16.4"

    EDIT:

    Notice that in the last line "Progid"="WindowsLive.PhotoGallery.wdp.16.4" the number may vary depending on the Windows Live Photo Gallery you have (may be 15.4, 16.4, etc...). To discover the version you have take a look to another format (e.g. bmp) in your registry settings...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments