I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-10T19:35:32+00:00

    Yes You Says Truth Right Click is Most Useful Button of Mouse

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-01T17:18:23+00:00

    Right click the Recent folder,

    Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

    Last time :)

    Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

    Open the Links folder,

    Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

    Once it's in the Links folder,

    Right click and click on Rename,

    Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

    If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

    Not seeing a links folder or any folders at all.  I see "change account settings", "lock", and "sign out". No folders in account settings either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-01T17:19:05+00:00

    Not seeing a links folder or any folders at all.  I see "change account settings", "lock", and "sign out". No folders in account settings either.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-01T17:46:30+00:00

    For WINDOWS 10:

    I found another (easy) way to bring it back. 

    1. In File Explorer, go to This PC > Windows (C:) > Users > [Your User Name] > AppData > Roaming> Microsoft > Windows > Recent Items
    2. You should see Recent Items in the left hand frame in File Explorer
    3. Right click on Recent Items
    4. Select Pin to Start
    5. Click Start button
    6. Scroll all the way down. The Recent Items link will be one of the tiles at the very bottom.
    7. Hover your mouse just above the tile. You have the option to move the group to the very top and to rename it. I moved mine to the top and left it unnamed. 
    8. You now have a link to  This PC > Windows (C:) > Users > [Your User Name] > AppData > Roaming> Microsoft > Windows > Recent Items from the Start button. You also have a link now under Quick Access in File Explorer.

    This seemed to have potential but there's something strange about those locations.  First, the path is not the same as you have.  Second, every time I go to that location the Explorer app locks up with an endless circling arrow.  Explorer doesn't even show in Task Manager so I can shut it down.  Can't even  copy the path.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments