I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-11T01:13:58+00:00

    The default place is in the Links folder,

    If you want it under Libraries,

    Click the Yellow folder on the Taskbar,

    Right click a blank spot and click on New and click on Library,

    Name the library, I suppose Recent Places ?

    Then right click the New library and click on Properties,

    Click on Include folder,

    Navigate to where this folder is,

    Then click on Add/ Include which ever the option is ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-11T02:40:57+00:00

    I was able to create a new Library, but when I clicked Include Folder and navigated to the Recent Items icon (which contains all those links that I want back and is located here:

    C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent)

    I got a "Folder name isn't valid" message.

    Also, Windows won't allow me to drag and drop that Recent Items anywhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-16T19:00:25+00:00

    Hi there -

    Windows won't allow me to drag the shortcut into anything except a folder such as My Documents - that is, I can't put it under Favorites or Libraries or in fact any top-level spot.

    :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-16T20:18:50+00:00

    You'll have to do it the way I've described,

    Then Open the Links folder,

    Then Drag the shortcut on the Main Page not on the Navigation pane listings,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments