I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T21:58:00+00:00

    I really want my Recent Places back but got lost quite early in these instructions. From the Start menu, I assume you meant I click on my user icon, as that's the only thing that has my name on it. When I click on that icon, the only options I see are Change account settings, Lock and Sign out.

    I'm not finding the Links folder you reference. Thanks for your help!

    Mary

    Having the exact same problem as Mary.  That post doesn't jibe with Windows 10.

    My company uses an earlier version of Windows that still has Recent Places. By comparison, in the office it's so easy to work with files. On my home computer with Windows 10 it's like being in the stone age by comparison. I'm constantly searching for lost files or manually navigating back to folders or files I just used.

    Windows seems to be progressing backwards.  If Microsoft would at least weigh in and say whether or not it's possible to have a full list of Recent Places like previous versions, at least we users would know where we stand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-03T16:06:20+00:00

    I really want my Recent Places back but got lost quite early in these instructions. From the Start menu, I assume you meant I click on my user icon, as that's the only thing that has my name on it. When I click on that icon, the only options I see are Change account settings, Lock and Sign out.

    I'm not finding the Links folder you reference. Thanks for your help!

    Mary

    Having the exact same problem as Mary.  That post doesn't jibe with Windows 10.

    My company uses an earlier version of Windows that still has Recent Places. By comparison, in the office it's so easy to work with files. On my home computer with Windows 10 it's like being in the stone age by comparison. I'm constantly searching for lost files or manually navigating back to folders or files I just used.

    Windows seems to be progressing backwards.  If Microsoft would at least weigh in and say whether or not it's possible to have a full list of Recent Places like previous versions, at least we users would know where we stand.

    I have the exact SAME issue and scenario. Work computer still has Win8 and home has Win10. It's driving me nuts. I even use OneDrive, but still, having to go back and forth to find a recent file while WFH is so backwards. If it is no longer an option, would someone just please let us know and stop posting old, antiquated solutions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-05T15:19:49+00:00

    I want my computer back the way it was with my gmail account under ******@gmail.com and I want my old facebook account back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-13T19:36:41+00:00

    Right click the Recent folder,

    Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

    Last time :)

    Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

    Open the Links folder,

    Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

    Once it's in the Links folder,

    Right click and click on Rename,

    Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

    If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

    Are we talking about different versions of WIndows?  If so, please say so.

    There is no Recent folder. When I click on the start button there is no user name listed.  Where is this Links folder?

    Why is this so difficult? Why can't Microsoft just resolve the problem, either by fixing it in Windows 10 or posting to this thread with a single method that works in Windows 10? Rather than letting their customers mess around with all these workarounds that don't work?  

    Like the title says, we want our Recent Places back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments