I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-01T00:38:04+00:00

    Can you share how to do it please???

    "C:\Users\vlp-yoga\Documents# vlp computer setup-yoga\added recent items to explorer, includes folders, but doesnt show in saveas box! @2016-06-01 12_32_55-Save Webpage.png"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-25T13:42:21+00:00

    Not so much. I open and save files in Excel all day long and navigate in file explorer in various applications during my time at work. The important piece of "recent places" being gone is its absence when I open and save files within an application using the file explorer menu screen.

    Doing as you had instructed does not populate the recent folders shortcut in the file explorer menu for opening and saving files in any application. Below is a screenshot of what I'm referring to (I've solved this problem already):

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-25T08:16:45+00:00

    THIS IS THE ANSWER

    Just go to this address in Windows C:\Users{your user name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows and you will find your "recent items" folder there.

    Just drag it onto your quick access list on the left hand side of the screen in 'file explorer', and there you go - done!

    Also if you click on the "quick access" prompt in that menu, it will also open a "Frequent Folders" and "Frequent Files" list.

    Hope that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-01T22:53:21+00:00

    Now I have located the Recent Folders shortcut but it was empty when I found it and doesn't update when I modify a file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments