I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-19T13:44:19+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-13T20:13:01+00:00

    This did only place a shortcut to nowhere as you will see on the screen shot attached.

    The real question for me is WHY  DID IT DISAPPEAR in the first place?  I found it very helpful and would not have deleted it for any logical or even illogical reason.  One of MS innumerable quirks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-11-02T13:58:47+00:00

    I was able to open windows explorer, right click on Favorites and choose "Restore Favorite Links" and Recent Places was back under Favorites.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T22:04:37+00:00

    I guess MS is just going to stay mute on the topic?  This is insulting.  They need to tell us how to set it up and how to keep it working.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments