I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-06-12T03:29:28+00:00

    I assume you right click the Favorites listing and clicked on Restore Favorites links ?

    Most useful line in the answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-06T04:26:31+00:00

    On my new PC, I run Windows 10, which means this does nor apply.  Thank you though.  :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-05T15:07:54+00:00

    Here is how I got it back:

    1. Right click the Start/Win button, select properties
    2. Click the START MENU tab (select as default)
    3. Click the CUSTOMIZE BUTTON
    4. Scroll down and check the RECENT ITEMS CHECK BOX
    5. Click OK
    6. Click APPLY
    7. Click OK

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-24T03:24:43+00:00

    Yes , restore from Favorites worked. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments