I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T21:48:13+00:00

    Right click the Recent folder,

    Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

    Last time :)

    Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

    Open the Links folder,

    Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

    Once it's in the Links folder,

    Right click and click on Rename,

    Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

    If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

    Does this apply to Windows 10?  None of it jibes with what I see. 

    • Clicking my username doesn't show anything with a Links folder
    • What created shortcut?
    • Etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T21:38:14+00:00

    This thread has been going since 2013 (some of the early posts are about Windows 7 or 8 and make no sense for Windows 10) and Microsoft hasn't weighed in with a definitive answer that I can see for any version of Windows. There's something absurd about saving a file from a web page to your hard drive then not being able to find it by going directly to the folder without searching.

    Is there a solution for Windows 10, Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T18:19:39+00:00

    Thanks , right answer!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-01T14:27:16+00:00

    Thanks Mary for your response.  This is my last time trying to suddenly have to solve everything going on with Microscosoft.  2 Days ago I clicked on my Microsoft Word and got 'user account control, do you want to change this".  I have never been one to click on anything I see, so I hit NO. Now, every time I try to open M Word I get this message and will not me open  MD.

    I think it's time to go back to bongo drums and smoke signals. do you have any insight?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments