I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-27T14:05:33+00:00

    Hello!

    This is the simplest way to get your Recent places shortcut back.

    1- Go to your My Computer (Win 7) or This PC (Win 8)

    2- Right Click on the Favorites and click Restore favorite links.

    3- Success. You've got your Recent places shortcut back!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-07T21:40:36+00:00

    Right click the "Favorites" Star and select "restore favorite links" - That what you want

    Martin, I have 'Restored' all the way until Last month - Recent Places is still MIA.

    Is there somewhere on the Internet that I can download the necessary Repair?

    I have NOTHING in Links or Favorites like Everyone is showing.... <sigh>

    I have a screen shot - Recent Places is SOMETIMES there! No Clue Why or How!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-16T01:09:32+00:00

    Right click the "Favorites" Star and select "restore favorite links" - That what you want

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-07-14T21:57:45+00:00

    I'm replying to ThrashZone's post.

    I have the same problem: I lost Recent Places and want it back.

    The problem I have is that Recent Places is not in my Links Folder.  I can't find Recent Places even after I did a search for it.  Does anyone know where I can find it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments