I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-16T20:59:45+00:00

    Click On Organize on the top left,

    Click on Folder and Search options,

    Go to the View section,

    Scroll down the list and check the box,

    Show Hidden folders, Files and Drives,

    Click on Apply and Okay.

    You can also,

    Hold the windows logo key down and press the R key,

    Type in the Run box,

    Shell:Links

    Then click on Okay.

    Drag the shortcut on the main page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-16T20:18:50+00:00

    You'll have to do it the way I've described,

    Then Open the Links folder,

    Then Drag the shortcut on the Main Page not on the Navigation pane listings,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-16T19:00:25+00:00

    Hi there -

    Windows won't allow me to drag the shortcut into anything except a folder such as My Documents - that is, I can't put it under Favorites or Libraries or in fact any top-level spot.

    :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-10T19:30:43+00:00

    Hi Dissed -

    I tried to paste snips here, but the didn't stick.

    I know the Start button as that blue ball with the Windows image on it down in the left-hand corner of the screen. Anyway, to get the view that you show, I click the Windows Explorer button, not the Start button.

    It doesn't look like quite like yours, but my user folder is there. The Favorites folder inside the user folder contains a Personal Links folder, but that (like everything else inside the Favorites folder) contains Web sites.

    The "Recent Places" icon used to be right there under the "Videos" link.  I tried "Restore Favorites." Tried resetting to defaults. As I noted above, I found the links themselves in the C:\ directory and even found the icon. It won't allow me to drag it to the Navigation pane. It will allow me to put it inside one of the libraries - not what I want to do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments