I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-31T20:09:00+00:00

    I really want my Recent Places back but got lost quite early in these instructions. From the Start menu, I assume you meant I click on my user icon, as that's the only thing that has my name on it. When I click on that icon, the only options I see are Change account settings, Lock and Sign out.

    I'm not finding the Links folder you reference. Thanks for your help!

    Mary

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-06-27T01:41:48+00:00

    Just right click on Favorites - I use Windows Explorer icon I place on the desktop - and click on Restore favorite links.  At least that worked for me to restore the Recent Link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-06-27T01:40:32+00:00

    Actually just right click on Favorites and click on Restore favorite links.  At least that worked for me to restore the Recent Link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-10T06:58:09+00:00

    Hi Dissed -

    There are two different locations for "Recent" - there is "Recent Items" in the Start menu, and "Recent Places" in the Navigator Pane of Windows Explorer. The one that I am missing and want to get back is in "Recent Places" in the Navigator Pane. It looks like you are giving directions for the one in the Start menu - yes?

    In any case ... I'm not sure I understand your directions. Is Step 1 to go to the User Folders location, or is Step 1 to click the Start button? Clicking the Start button after going to User Folders doesn't really accomplish anything. But if I click the Start button, then click my personal folder at the top ... no Links folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments