I want my "Recent Places" icon/link back

Anonymous
2013-01-10T00:11:40+00:00

The "Recent Places" icon/link in the Navigation Pane of Windows Explorer has disappeared.

I tried the two "return to default" operations. Nothing.

I found the actual file in C:, deleted a half-dozen corrupted files (the ones over 1 mg in size). Tried dragging the "Recent Places" icon over to the Nav pane - nada. Nothing puts the icon/link back where it belongs, under Libraries.

How do I get it back?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-11T02:55:13+00:00

Right click the Recent folder,

Click on Send to and click on Desktop create shortcut,

Last time :)

Click the Start button and click on your User Name listed near the top,

Open the Links folder,

Drag the created shortcut onto the Opened Links folder.

Once it's in the Links folder,

Right click and click on Rename,

Click inside the rename box and back up on the Shortcut listing.

If you want to drag the Newly created shortcut Inside the New libray you can try to.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-10T05:46:27+00:00

    Actually it should be listed under Favorites,

    Go to your user folders location,

    Click the start button and click on your user name near the top,

    You should see a Links folder,

    Open it,

    Drag the shortcut in this folder.

    I assume you right click the Favorites listing and clicked on Restore Favorites links ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    60+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-27T14:05:33+00:00

    Hello!

    This is the simplest way to get your Recent places shortcut back.

    1- Go to your My Computer (Win 7) or This PC (Win 8)

    2- Right Click on the Favorites and click Restore favorite links.

    3- Success. You've got your Recent places shortcut back!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-16T01:09:32+00:00

    Right click the "Favorites" Star and select "restore favorite links" - That what you want

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-11T02:40:57+00:00

    I was able to create a new Library, but when I clicked Include Folder and navigated to the Recent Items icon (which contains all those links that I want back and is located here:

    C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent)

    I got a "Folder name isn't valid" message.

    Also, Windows won't allow me to drag and drop that Recent Items anywhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments