Disable Automatic Forced Restart After Windows Update for Windows 8 Home Edition

Anonymous
2013-03-25T00:24:46+00:00

I am using Windows 8 Home Edition.  I want to keep automatic updates enabled but I do not want my computer to automatically restart after certain Windows updates are installed.

I am aware that there is a notification on the lock screen stating that a restart is necessary, but I normally keep my computer on all of the time and don't ever see this notification.  There are no notifications on the desktop until 15 minutes prior to the forced restart.  It always seems to be at an inconvenient time and results in losing work.

I've seen posts and articles describing methods of disabling the forced restart on different versions of Windows by editing registry keys or using the Group Policy Editor.  But Windows 8 Home edition does not have the registry key mentioned nor does it have a Group Policy Editor. 

Is there a way to display the notification on the desktop further in advance?

Is there a way to indefinitely postpone or completely disable the forced restart?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-18T19:16:44+00:00

I get a "Windows cannot find gpedit.msc" error message, presumably because I have the Home version rather than Pro (though I don't really care as to the reason I get the error, to be honest).  Which unfortunately for MS does nothing to increase the likelihood that I will buy the Pro version (of Win8 or any future edition), and instead decreases the likelihood that I'll ever buy another MS product at all.  If anything this behavior makes more sense in a professional (i.e. IT Department-coordinated group policy settings) rather than a home setting, so for me to have no way to remove/adjust this "feature" really turns me off of buying Windows for home use.

Oh if you have a home version, you won't get the group policy editors.  Actually the policy makes the most sense for home users.  Send the editorializing to MS, not me.

Open an elevated powershell prompt and run this (it's one line):

New-ItemProperty "HKLM:SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\au" -Name "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" -PropertyType "DWord" -Value 1

Or this, if you don't want to use powershell, open an elevated command prompt and run this (all one line):

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-08-26T17:19:05+00:00

Here is the best solution: This come from Redmondpie: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-stop-windows-8-updates-from-force-restarting-your-pc/

Local Group Policy Editor

If you’re using Windows 8 Professional or (Ultimate), then you have access to Local Group Policy Editor, which is the easier (albeit longer) route for achieving this.

Step 1: Launch the Local Group Policy Editor by entering gpedit.msc in the Run dialog box.

Step 2: In the editor, navigate to this location:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

Step 3: In the right-side pane, locate this setting:

No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations

Step 4: Double click this item, and enable it. Click Applywhen done.

That’s it – the setting has been implemented. It’s advisable, however, to restart your PC once after doing this to ensure that changes have taken effect.

Windows Registry Editor

In case you’re running a version of Windows 8 that does not come with Local Group Policy Editor, the same can be done using the standard Registry Editor in Windows. For doing that, follow the steps below:

Step 1: Launch the Registry Editor by entering regedit in the Run dialog.

Step 2: Navigate to the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Step 3: Create a new DWORD here (32-bit) with the following name, and give it a hexadecimal value of 1.

NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers

Step 4: Reboot the system, and that’s it.

Both these methods achieve the same method, but cater to different versions of Windows 8, so opt for the one that suits you best.

I am using Windows 8 Home Edition.  I want to keep automatic updates enabled but I do not want my computer to automatically restart after certain Windows updates are installed.

I am aware that there is a notification on the lock screen stating that a restart is necessary, but I normally keep my computer on all of the time and don't ever see this notification.  There are no notifications on the desktop until 15 minutes prior to the forced restart.  It always seems to be at an inconvenient time and results in losing work.

I've seen posts and articles describing methods of disabling the forced restart on different versions of Windows by editing registry keys or using the Group Policy Editor.  But Windows 8 Home edition does not have the registry key mentioned nor does it have a Group Policy Editor. 

Is there a way to display the notification on the desktop further in advance?

Is there a way to indefinitely postpone or completely disable the forced restart?

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-16T19:39:44+00:00

It does say it's an administrative account, but I guess "administrative" doesn't really mean what it used to.  I ran command prompt as administrator, and it worked!  Thanks!  Still trying to figure out where everything is in Windows 8.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-21T08:22:27+00:00

    Is there a way to indefinitely postpone or completely disable the forced restart?

    If the countdown is already running ...

    I had just this situation and didn't want to reboot either, since Windows to Go on an USB stick running in the Hyper-V instance of the machinewas busy applying an update as well. A forced reboot of the host operating system would have almost for sure destroyed my Windows to Go stick.

    So I added the Group Policy entry mentioned and run gpupdate /force from a commmand prompt.

    Not sure, if this command also exists in Windows 8.1 "Home" (there is no home any more in the name).

    However the countdown was still presented.

    So I went to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and stopped the service "Windows Update".

    No longer prompt for reboot (and the critical time passed by without self destruction being executed).

    Later  restarted the service Windows Update, and it no longer asks for a forced reboot. So I assume after setting the relevant registry key, as it is also done by Group Policy editor, you do not need to reboot, but restarting the Windows Update service could be enough.

    Only if you launch Windows Update in Control Panel (in one of the icons views) you still get the selection to Restart now, which I am fine with.

    Best greetings from Germany

    Olaf

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-13T07:47:52+00:00

    This is f***ing terrible. what a disgrace. Don't these c***s use their own software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments