Disable Automatic Forced Restart After Windows Update for Windows 8 Home Edition

Anonymous
2013-03-25T00:24:46+00:00

I am using Windows 8 Home Edition.  I want to keep automatic updates enabled but I do not want my computer to automatically restart after certain Windows updates are installed.

I am aware that there is a notification on the lock screen stating that a restart is necessary, but I normally keep my computer on all of the time and don't ever see this notification.  There are no notifications on the desktop until 15 minutes prior to the forced restart.  It always seems to be at an inconvenient time and results in losing work.

I've seen posts and articles describing methods of disabling the forced restart on different versions of Windows by editing registry keys or using the Group Policy Editor.  But Windows 8 Home edition does not have the registry key mentioned nor does it have a Group Policy Editor. 

Is there a way to display the notification on the desktop further in advance?

Is there a way to indefinitely postpone or completely disable the forced restart?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-18T19:16:44+00:00

I get a "Windows cannot find gpedit.msc" error message, presumably because I have the Home version rather than Pro (though I don't really care as to the reason I get the error, to be honest).  Which unfortunately for MS does nothing to increase the likelihood that I will buy the Pro version (of Win8 or any future edition), and instead decreases the likelihood that I'll ever buy another MS product at all.  If anything this behavior makes more sense in a professional (i.e. IT Department-coordinated group policy settings) rather than a home setting, so for me to have no way to remove/adjust this "feature" really turns me off of buying Windows for home use.

Oh if you have a home version, you won't get the group policy editors.  Actually the policy makes the most sense for home users.  Send the editorializing to MS, not me.

Open an elevated powershell prompt and run this (it's one line):

New-ItemProperty "HKLM:SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\au" -Name "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" -PropertyType "DWord" -Value 1

Or this, if you don't want to use powershell, open an elevated command prompt and run this (all one line):

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-08-26T17:19:05+00:00

Here is the best solution: This come from Redmondpie: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-stop-windows-8-updates-from-force-restarting-your-pc/

Local Group Policy Editor

If you’re using Windows 8 Professional or (Ultimate), then you have access to Local Group Policy Editor, which is the easier (albeit longer) route for achieving this.

Step 1: Launch the Local Group Policy Editor by entering gpedit.msc in the Run dialog box.

Step 2: In the editor, navigate to this location:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update

Step 3: In the right-side pane, locate this setting:

No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations

Step 4: Double click this item, and enable it. Click Applywhen done.

That’s it – the setting has been implemented. It’s advisable, however, to restart your PC once after doing this to ensure that changes have taken effect.

Windows Registry Editor

In case you’re running a version of Windows 8 that does not come with Local Group Policy Editor, the same can be done using the standard Registry Editor in Windows. For doing that, follow the steps below:

Step 1: Launch the Registry Editor by entering regedit in the Run dialog.

Step 2: Navigate to the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Step 3: Create a new DWORD here (32-bit) with the following name, and give it a hexadecimal value of 1.

NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers

Step 4: Reboot the system, and that’s it.

Both these methods achieve the same method, but cater to different versions of Windows 8, so opt for the one that suits you best.

I am using Windows 8 Home Edition.  I want to keep automatic updates enabled but I do not want my computer to automatically restart after certain Windows updates are installed.

I am aware that there is a notification on the lock screen stating that a restart is necessary, but I normally keep my computer on all of the time and don't ever see this notification.  There are no notifications on the desktop until 15 minutes prior to the forced restart.  It always seems to be at an inconvenient time and results in losing work.

I've seen posts and articles describing methods of disabling the forced restart on different versions of Windows by editing registry keys or using the Group Policy Editor.  But Windows 8 Home edition does not have the registry key mentioned nor does it have a Group Policy Editor. 

Is there a way to display the notification on the desktop further in advance?

Is there a way to indefinitely postpone or completely disable the forced restart?

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-16T19:39:44+00:00

It does say it's an administrative account, but I guess "administrative" doesn't really mean what it used to.  I ran command prompt as administrator, and it worked!  Thanks!  Still trying to figure out where everything is in Windows 8.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-22T22:34:01+00:00

    Here's hoping I get this in before it forces that restart...

    I couldn't agree more.  I'm reminded of all those movies where a self-destruct sequence is initiated, and there's no "abort" button available.  The UAV example basically outlines how they have excluded Windows 8 from any field that requires a reliable operating system.  I have yet to find a response that provides steps which actually work for me (not Pro, so gpedit.msc didn't work).  And I've been using a computer since I was 5 years old, starting with DOS and working my way up to Windows 3.1 and on through to present, so it's not due to lack of computer literacy.  Having this as the default behavior is an absolute joke.  It's little better than if it were crashing rather than restarting, when it comes right down to it.  Given the choice between automatic updates that will inevitably interrupt my workflow, and no updates at all, I guess I'll go with the latter.  Or maybe it's time to get back into using Linux, where I actually have control over my system...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-09T14:56:43+00:00

    I'd just like add my voice to the many who think that this behaviour, as a default is not even close to acceptable from an operating system with 'pro' in it's name.  Losing unsaved work,   current conversations, being force-quit from games, killing that podcast or youtube vid you where in the middle of are all pretty annoying. But I use this thing as the ground-station for flying research UAV's, a fresh install of windows every now and then keeps the computer running reliably, and it generally takes a forced reset to remember to change the stupid group policy.

    A forced restart, without any way of stopping the shutdown means, at best, a lot of embarrassment, or at worst, when flying under flight termination conditions, a very expensive, smoldering pile of crashed drone.

    Seriously,   it's Windows *Pro*,   not Windows *I'm going to give this to my grandmother and she needs to get her updates when Microsoft says*

    We *need* a way to stop the forced restart,  this forced restart,   not the next one  (why update thinks it's above using the extant (cancellable) shutdown systems I have no idea.)  And secondly,   why does it wait for about 5 minutes after you've logged in to start the dreaded countdown,  by that time I've got 15 windows open, two conversations happening, and a podcast playing... Or worse,   a UAV in the air.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments