@WeihanLow => Please post any/all further follow-up in replies to your own, new thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/a8e97401-b689-4763-930b-adf23edd1548
Desktop blank and apps deleted.
After I log in this morning in my account, the computerct act like it was for the first time started and after that I discover that all the apps and my desktop was deleted. When I try to pop up my desktop i got erorr. "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.."
Please help me.
Thank you
***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Marius,
- Were there any recent changes made on the computer prior to the issue?
Here are few methods that you may follow to fix this issue.
Method 1:
a. Open "C:\users[your user account]" folder. If you see two Desktop folders with one blank and the other with your Desktop items you need to delete the blank one.
b. Copy the desktop folder with your desktop items from “C:\Users[your user account]\” folder to “C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\”
c. Restart the computer.
Method 2: Create a new user account and check.
If the issue does not persists in new user account then, try to fix the corrupted profile.
a) Press Windows and X together and select Windows Explorer.
b) Click on View tab and Click on Options at the top right corner.
c) Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
d) Uncheck the box which states Hide protected operating system files.
****e) Click Yes to confirm, and then click Ok. ****
f) Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.
g) Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
•Ntuser.dat •Ntuser.dat.log •Ntuser.ini
h) Right click and Select Copy.
i) Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New Username is the name of the new user profile you created.
j) Right click inside the folder and select Paste.
k) Restart your computer and check.
Method 3: Restore your PC to an earlier point in time and check.
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
Note: Do not Reset or Refresh the PC.
Please post back with the results and we will be happy to assist you further.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2015-10-22T00:06:35+00:00 I had this issue after a mother board upgrade, and windows reinstall.
The computer ran fine, until it ran windows updates,
when I logged back in the desktop was black with no files and the same message..
C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable
At first I considered trying to fix it myself as I saw "fixes" on the net related to it like pasting the content from your username desktop folder into system32??
I didn't like the sound of that, so I called a professional software engineer, and he said
"No, don't do that!"
He then took over my pc remotely and fixed the issue.
This issue is directly related to specific windows updates which are causing the problem,
he knew which ones they were and set them up to install correctly onto my computer.
I have had no problems since.
I would say the best thing to do with this issue is to ask a professional to look at your pc,
because pasting files into system32 is not a good thing to be doing, it's not the correct direct fix,
and you will have further reoccurring problems.
-
Anonymous
2016-03-08T04:55:08+00:00 wow thank you so much I was about to cry. I updated my computer and it said javascript failed or something and then all my apps were gone besides the recycle bin. I did the first method though I didn't have a duplicate dketop folder in my user account folder. I just copied it to that spot and everything came back :,) I've never felt the urge to thank anyone and even respond but this really helped!!
-
Anonymous
2016-03-08T10:45:41+00:00 Hi,
You are welcome. Thank you for keeping us updated.
Please feel free to post if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.