@WeihanLow => Please post any/all further follow-up in replies to your own, new thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/a8e97401-b689-4763-930b-adf23edd1548
Desktop blank and apps deleted.
After I log in this morning in my account, the computerct act like it was for the first time started and after that I discover that all the apps and my desktop was deleted. When I try to pop up my desktop i got erorr. "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.."
Please help me.
Thank you
***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Marius,
- Were there any recent changes made on the computer prior to the issue?
Here are few methods that you may follow to fix this issue.
Method 1:
a. Open "C:\users[your user account]" folder. If you see two Desktop folders with one blank and the other with your Desktop items you need to delete the blank one.
b. Copy the desktop folder with your desktop items from “C:\Users[your user account]\” folder to “C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\”
c. Restart the computer.
Method 2: Create a new user account and check.
If the issue does not persists in new user account then, try to fix the corrupted profile.
a) Press Windows and X together and select Windows Explorer.
b) Click on View tab and Click on Options at the top right corner.
c) Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
d) Uncheck the box which states Hide protected operating system files.
****e) Click Yes to confirm, and then click Ok. ****
f) Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.
g) Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
•Ntuser.dat •Ntuser.dat.log •Ntuser.ini
h) Right click and Select Copy.
i) Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New Username is the name of the new user profile you created.
j) Right click inside the folder and select Paste.
k) Restart your computer and check.
Method 3: Restore your PC to an earlier point in time and check.
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
Note: Do not Reset or Refresh the PC.
Please post back with the results and we will be happy to assist you further.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2016-12-26T10:49:42+00:00 helloSharief sir,
I went through all the information on the internet.
I have the same problem:
Location not available C:\Windows\System32\Config\SystemProfile\Desktop is not accessible. Access Denied
My desktop's blank and it may be an error of user account.
I cannot open any file folder or explorer.
the only things I can open are task manager, cmd, control panel, config.exe!!
I tried going into safe mode, but it wont run properly too. the screen in safe mode keeps flickering on and off and i cannot open any file or folder here too, only task manager, cmd, control panel!!!
what should I do??
I don't want to reset windows as I have ~20gb important data on C:.
I just want the data from c but i cannot access it..... plzzz help!!!
-
Anonymous
2016-12-23T22:05:21+00:00 Hi Megan,
Just to follow up, has the concern been resolved?
We look forward to your response.
-
Anonymous
2016-12-14T20:38:58+00:00 This happened to me today... I followed method 1 and copied my desktop folder (there wasn't a blank one) and after that all the icons that were previously on my desktop showed up, so I know all my files are still on the computer, but the desktop background is still black and the apps are still all deleted. For example, I tried to open a photo and I had to select a default program, chose Windows Photo Viewer, and then it said COM surrogate failed or ended or something and it couldn't open the photo. Then I tried opening a Camtasia file, and it said it had to install Camtasia, but it couldn't because a config file was missing or something (I'm not sure exactly what was going on there).