@WeihanLow => Please post any/all further follow-up in replies to your own, new thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/a8e97401-b689-4763-930b-adf23edd1548
Desktop blank and apps deleted.
After I log in this morning in my account, the computerct act like it was for the first time started and after that I discover that all the apps and my desktop was deleted. When I try to pop up my desktop i got erorr. "C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location.."
Please help me.
Thank you
***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Marius,
- Were there any recent changes made on the computer prior to the issue?
Here are few methods that you may follow to fix this issue.
Method 1:
a. Open "C:\users[your user account]" folder. If you see two Desktop folders with one blank and the other with your Desktop items you need to delete the blank one.
b. Copy the desktop folder with your desktop items from “C:\Users[your user account]\” folder to “C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\”
c. Restart the computer.
Method 2: Create a new user account and check.
If the issue does not persists in new user account then, try to fix the corrupted profile.
a) Press Windows and X together and select Windows Explorer.
b) Click on View tab and Click on Options at the top right corner.
c) Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
d) Uncheck the box which states Hide protected operating system files.
****e) Click Yes to confirm, and then click Ok. ****
f) Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.
g) Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
•Ntuser.dat •Ntuser.dat.log •Ntuser.ini
h) Right click and Select Copy.
i) Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New Username is the name of the new user profile you created.
j) Right click inside the folder and select Paste.
k) Restart your computer and check.
Method 3: Restore your PC to an earlier point in time and check.
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
Note: Do not Reset or Refresh the PC.
Please post back with the results and we will be happy to assist you further.
45 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2014-04-12T12:28:01+00:00 Thank you for the quick reply but there's another problem. It told me to click "Change" but every time I do it, it seems like it hanged. After a few minutes, this showed up:
Windows Security: Can't open access control editor. The dependency service or group failed to start.
This also happens when I try opening other settings. Please help me. I need my laptop so badly.
Thanks.
-
Anonymous
2014-04-12T08:54:20+00:00 Hi Miyuki,
You may refer to the section “Issue 1: I get an "Access Denied" error message when accessing or working with files and folders” from the following link and take ownership of the folder and see if it fixes the issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670/en-us#method11
Keep us posted on the status of the issue.
-
Anonymous
2014-04-12T01:55:27+00:00 I have tried the first method and saw only one desktop folder so I skipped step a. and proceeded with step b. and CANNOT OPEN THE CONFIG FOLDER.
Here's what it said:
"You don't currently have permission to access this folder
Click continue to permanently get access to this folder."
I clicked continue, loads, AND DOES NOT OPEN.
DUDE, I NEED YOUR HEEEEELP. :'(