optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Anonymous
2013-07-21T15:58:57+00:00

cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

the drive passes error checking with no problems.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T17:24:55+00:00

This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-10T19:48:47+00:00

I finally found a solution that worked for me here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d782ade-f4de-43bf-8cea-647828b35757/strange-defrag-error-0x80070057?forum=winserverfiles

Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>

fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>

Eg :

fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-09T01:40:46+00:00

    I don't think anyone missed it. I got four emails with this proposed fix.

    I don't even have any "hidden partitions" (quotes because I associate that with TrueCrypt volumes), so this is not applicable to my case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-09T01:49:25+00:00

    cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

    in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

    the drive passes error checking with no problems.

    any help would be greatly appreciated

    I guess everyone is missing this fix,

    HELLO THIS IS THE FIX BELOW

    Go to This PC (Windows 8.1) right click your drive select properties then select the Tools Tab then select optimize, only drives that have drive letters need to be optimized, turn off optimize on partitions(s) that don't have drive letters assigned to them

    Your hidden partitions (which can be viewed in Disk manager) are being defragged which should not happen, just right click your drive(s) (SSD or HDD)

    Let me know how it goes

    Your are hilarious man.  The fix is not that easy my friend. As others have posted this is my c: drive. My partitions are good, HDD is not failing (SMART) bla bla bla. It's a bug. I've also reinstalled the os and same problem. Thanks for your time but I too know how to us google.  None of those fixes work. I'd love to hear any other ideas but please do not regurgitate common knowledge that anyone can find using google. I suspect we've all already done that.  Also the issue started after I upgraded to 8.1

    Thanks for the attempt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-09T20:08:01+00:00

    I don't think anyone missed it. I got four emails with this proposed fix.

    I don't even have any "hidden partitions" (quotes because I associate that with TrueCrypt volumes), so this is not applicable to my case.

    Ok did you go into to disk manage and check your partitions

    Truecrypt is encryption software, so I am not sure what you are referring to

    If you follow the instructions anyhow; you can disable optimization on all drives for a while then put it back to see if that changes anything

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments