optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Anonymous
2013-07-21T15:58:57+00:00

cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

the drive passes error checking with no problems.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T17:24:55+00:00

This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-10T19:48:47+00:00

I finally found a solution that worked for me here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d782ade-f4de-43bf-8cea-647828b35757/strange-defrag-error-0x80070057?forum=winserverfiles

Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>

fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>

Eg :

fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-08T23:16:04+00:00

    I have the same issue with HDD's.  Also be careful with 3rd party defraggers.  I used defraggler and when I ran chkdsk afterwards it found a ton of corrupted files.  I cleared the drives re-installed the OS and ran defraggler and it again corrupted files.  (SMART diagnostics states my drives are good).

    I have a feeling there's something wrong with the defrag API's in Windows 8.1 which is what defraggler is using.

    I wish us all luck as MS is typically pretty slow to solve anything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-09T01:31:27+00:00

    HELLO THIS IS THE FIX BELOW

    Go to This PC (Windows 8.1) right click your drive select properties then select the Tools Tab then select optimize, only drives that have drive letters need to be optimized, turn off optimize on partitions(s) that don't have drive letters assigned to them

    Your hidden partitions (which can be viewed in Disk manager) are being defragged which should not happen, just right click your drive(s) (SSD or HDD)

    Let me know how it goes

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-09T01:35:51+00:00

    cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

    in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

    the drive passes error checking with no problems.

    any help would be greatly appreciated

    I guess everyone is missing this fix,

    HELLO THIS IS THE FIX BELOW

    Go to This PC (Windows 8.1) right click your drive select properties then select the Tools Tab then select optimize, only drives that have drive letters need to be optimized, turn off optimize on partitions(s) that don't have drive letters assigned to them

    Your hidden partitions (which can be viewed in Disk manager) are being defragged which should not happen, just right click your drive(s) (SSD or HDD)

    Let me know how it goes

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments