This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257
optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)
cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.
in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".
the drive passes error checking with no problems.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I finally found a solution that worked for me here:
Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:
fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>
fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>
Eg :
fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:
fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:
After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.
47 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2013-08-16T13:21:05+00:00 You could try to reset the repository folder.
Start the command prompt as admin and type the following commands.
Confirm every line by pressing "Enter".
net stop winmgmtcd /d %windir%\system32\wbemren repository repository.oldnet start winmgmtexitAfter that restart the pc and test if the error occurs again.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-19T10:34:58+00:00 still getting this issue on 8.1 final....fresh install
-
Anonymous
2013-10-27T18:59:57+00:00 I have to say the "advice" given in this thread, even by supposedly knowledgeable MS people, is abominable!
The problem is that (for the first time for me, after Win 8.1 update), the attempt to optimize (aka Trim) the SSD System Reserved Partition, under Windows 8.1 with defrag, whether automatically or manually, whether using command line prompt or Task Scheduler: SIMPLY WON'T WORK.
I have read across the internet about this and no-one has provided a reasonable solution.
I did not have this problem until updating a fresh Win8.0-from-DVD- Pro 64 bit installation to Win8.1 through the MS "store."
Please, MS, someone there who knows what's going on, fix this.