optimize drives The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)

Anonymous
2013-07-21T15:58:57+00:00

cant optimize one of my storage drives. its starts of analyzing drive then just never actually does a defrag.

in event viewer im getting this error for the drive in question: "was not optimised because an error was encountered: The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)".

the drive passes error checking with no problems.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T17:24:55+00:00

This issue is officially corrected by Microsoft. Go here to get the Hotfix:HotFix for Event Log Error 257

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-10T19:48:47+00:00

I finally found a solution that worked for me here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d782ade-f4de-43bf-8cea-647828b35757/strange-defrag-error-0x80070057?forum=winserverfiles

Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>

fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>

Eg :

fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-11T05:30:51+00:00

    Actually, you don't even really need to recreate the journal.  The journal SHOULD recreate itself if it's needed.  All that's really needed is to delete it and let it rebuild itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-28T20:28:31+00:00

    I finally found a solution that worked for me here:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6d782ade-f4de-43bf-8cea-647828b35757/strange-defrag-error-0x80070057?forum=winserverfiles

    Open an Administrator command prompt and make use of fsutil:

    fsutil usn deletejournal /D <volume pathname>

    fsutil usn createjournal m=<max-value> a=<alloc-delta> <volume pathname>

    Eg :

    fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

    fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

    After using these commands I was able to defragment C: without an error showing up in the event viewer. I'm not sure if this is a permanent or temporary fix, and someone mentioned in that thread that it didn't work with a server so YMMV.

    THANK YOU!!!  That absolutely worked beautifully for me!  I was skeptical at first because "deletejournal" kinda freaked me out but I finally caved in after a month and tried it ... and now my HDD is fully defragged for the first time since 8.1 released.

    fsutil usn deletejournal /D C:

    fsutil usn createjournal m=1000 a=100 C:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-06T13:53:20+00:00

    but what about 2012 (not R2) - any hotfix for that?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments